Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipod freezes halfway through audiobook

I'm about 18.5 hours into an audiobook (27 hours left in the file) and now my iPod freezes up every single time I get past a certain point (18:28:07). Every time, I have to reset the dang thing by holding down the Menu and the middle button until it reboots.

I feel like I've done everything I can to troubleshoot this:

• The file plays fine from within iTunes on my computer, so I know it's not corrupted.
  • I've tried fast-forwarding several minutes past the second where the freeze occurs, but to no avail. It still freezes when I try to play it again.
  • I've done a hard disk repair via Windows on the iPod.
  • I've defragmented the iPod (also via Windows).
  • I've done a restore on the iPod and just finished resyncing it to my iTunes again.

It's still having the exact same problem. Does anyone have any further suggestions? I really want to listen to the rest of this audiobook!

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2014 10:37 AM

Hi Heykelley,

I've been doing some extensive research on this problem and rest assure you are not the only one experiencing it. From my research I have found that the longer the novel, the higher the chances of error occurring (the technical nitty gritty - if the number of audio samples exceeds approximately 650 to 700 million samples, then the stability problems occur. Longer audiobooks have have higher sample rates). With that said, we are all giving our ipod's migraines. There are solutions, though but it depends on the type of audiobook and iPod you have. I have Audible books which are .aa or .aax files (DRM protected, so I can't convert and chop them into smaller files myself), and an iPod mini 3rd gen. Hopefully these steps help you, good luck!

Audible - for iPods that can not run apps ie. shuffle, mini, nano etc.

1. First and foremost write down the chapter you are on and your current listened hours.

2. Log in to your Audible account, make sure the book you are reading is in your library (even if you do not have a subscription anymore Audible still saves your library)

3. IF IT IS - plug your ipod into your computer and start Itunes. Delete the audiobook from your ipod, then from your itunes.

If the book is not in your Audible library - call Audible, raise **** ... not really, they are nice people ^_^.

4. Now back to the Audible library, find your novel. Next to the photo icon of your novel you will see an arrow. Click on it. There you will see your novel chopped up into pretty "parts" for you. Download them all to your itunes.

5. From your itunes drag your newly chopped novel into your iPod. Since the parts are separated by hours you will have to figure out which part contains the chapter you were on. Simple math ^_^.

Audible - for iPods that run apps) -

I am only guessing here but I believe the steps are similar just with a few modifications. Write down your chapter and listened hours, make sure its in your Audible library, delete from device or itunes. Then in the Audible library click the drop down arrow next to your books icon and download in parts to your device or itunes. I MAY BE WRONG, if I am call Audible and they can help you out. (888) 283-5051

For Audiobooks .mp4 .mp3 .acc

My dear friends you will have to tap into your inner techie to resolve your issue. You will need to manually chop up your book into parts or contact the audiobook provider and see if they offer your novel in parts.

For quick snip snap jobs like this I would use QuickTime Pro. Open your file up and every 7-8 hours or so make a cut.

I hope this was helpful, I wish everyone luck as I found that there are many of us out there who are frustrated with no answers.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 10, 2014 10:37 AM in response to heykelley

Hi Heykelley,

I've been doing some extensive research on this problem and rest assure you are not the only one experiencing it. From my research I have found that the longer the novel, the higher the chances of error occurring (the technical nitty gritty - if the number of audio samples exceeds approximately 650 to 700 million samples, then the stability problems occur. Longer audiobooks have have higher sample rates). With that said, we are all giving our ipod's migraines. There are solutions, though but it depends on the type of audiobook and iPod you have. I have Audible books which are .aa or .aax files (DRM protected, so I can't convert and chop them into smaller files myself), and an iPod mini 3rd gen. Hopefully these steps help you, good luck!

Audible - for iPods that can not run apps ie. shuffle, mini, nano etc.

1. First and foremost write down the chapter you are on and your current listened hours.

2. Log in to your Audible account, make sure the book you are reading is in your library (even if you do not have a subscription anymore Audible still saves your library)

3. IF IT IS - plug your ipod into your computer and start Itunes. Delete the audiobook from your ipod, then from your itunes.

If the book is not in your Audible library - call Audible, raise **** ... not really, they are nice people ^_^.

4. Now back to the Audible library, find your novel. Next to the photo icon of your novel you will see an arrow. Click on it. There you will see your novel chopped up into pretty "parts" for you. Download them all to your itunes.

5. From your itunes drag your newly chopped novel into your iPod. Since the parts are separated by hours you will have to figure out which part contains the chapter you were on. Simple math ^_^.

Audible - for iPods that run apps) -

I am only guessing here but I believe the steps are similar just with a few modifications. Write down your chapter and listened hours, make sure its in your Audible library, delete from device or itunes. Then in the Audible library click the drop down arrow next to your books icon and download in parts to your device or itunes. I MAY BE WRONG, if I am call Audible and they can help you out. (888) 283-5051

For Audiobooks .mp4 .mp3 .acc

My dear friends you will have to tap into your inner techie to resolve your issue. You will need to manually chop up your book into parts or contact the audiobook provider and see if they offer your novel in parts.

For quick snip snap jobs like this I would use QuickTime Pro. Open your file up and every 7-8 hours or so make a cut.

I hope this was helpful, I wish everyone luck as I found that there are many of us out there who are frustrated with no answers.

ipod freezes halfway through audiobook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.