Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Constant "loading" pinwheel on iPhone 5S status bar. I have no idea what its doing. The phone is new too.

Got a new iphone 5S Wednesday. I noticed that the status bar on the top of the screen shows the loading icon when on the home screen. I have no apps running or web pages up. I'm stumped. I am not sure if it is sucking my battery life up or not and I am pretty sure that it is not consuming any data from my plan. Any help would be helpful seeing as I dont really know what I'm doing or looking at.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 5:42 AM

2 replies

Apr 15, 2014 7:46 AM in response to MDAucoin

Hello there, MDAucoin.

The following Knowledge Base articles offer up some great information regarding the Network Activity icon:

iOS: Understanding multitasking

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4211

Network activity: When the network-activity icon User uploaded file appears in the status bar, network activity is occurring in the current app. The network-activity indicator will appear only for the following features or activities, when you're using the corresponding app:

• Photo Stream uploads and downloads
  • Regular application downloads and updates from App Store and Newsstand
  • Automatic downloads (music, books, and applications)
  • iTunes Match downloads
  • Checking email
  • iCloud restores

Third-party apps also use the icon to indicate network activity.

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Pedro.

Apr 7, 2015 8:04 AM in response to MDAucoin

Pedro wrote:

Network activity: When the network-activity icon User uploaded file appears in the status bar, network activity is occurring in the current app. The network-activity indicator will appear only for the following features or activities, when you're using the corresponding app:

• Photo Stream uploads and downloads
  • Regular application downloads and updates from App Store and Newsstand
  • Automatic downloads (music, books, and applications)
  • iTunes Match downloads
  • Checking email
  • iCloud restores

Third-party apps also use the icon to indicate network activity.

Since the phone is new & Pedro's response info, the phone might downloading cellar data (or mobile data if you put in the SIM card) and doing iCloud stuff (according to how you set up your phone, if you did a iCloud restore or a plain setup.) (⚠: Your WiFi set up might be invalid if the pinwheel stays for 1 min-1 1/2 min)

Your welcome,

Garret Stand

Constant "loading" pinwheel on iPhone 5S status bar. I have no idea what its doing. The phone is new too.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.