Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi button greyed out?

HELP!

I've recently upgraded from a 4s to a 5s. I no longer need the 4s so I want to delete everything on it and restore it to factory settings.

When I connect the 4s to iTunes and press 'Restore iPhone' it says I need to turn off 'Find My iPhone' before I can reset it. I am unable to turn off Find My iPhone as I need to connect to wifi to turn it off, and my wifi button is greyed out! It's been greyed out since I updated to ios7 a while ago.

Does anyone know how to make my wifi button work again?

Alternatively, can anyone tell me how to turn off 'Find My iPhone' without connecting to wifi?

(I've tried turning it off on the iCloud website but none of the effects will take place untill my phone connects to the internet... which it can't do!)

😢

iPhone 4S

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 9:05 AM

I did once get my wifi to work by freezing the phone. The wifi worked until the phone warmed up then it stopped working again. Others have reported using a hair dryer to heat it until the temp sensor comes on and tells you that the phone is overheated and you cannot use it until it cools down. You could try these. Heat the back of the phone, not the screen.

When i froze my phone i put it in a plastic bag and sucked the air out of it to prevent condensation on or in the phone. In my case I would have had plenty of time to turn the wifi on and change settings before it failed again. I was able to get it to work for a month by freezing, doing a factory reset and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery while it was still cold. But last week it failed again and not responding to the previous tricks.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2014 9:05 AM in response to smith004

I did once get my wifi to work by freezing the phone. The wifi worked until the phone warmed up then it stopped working again. Others have reported using a hair dryer to heat it until the temp sensor comes on and tells you that the phone is overheated and you cannot use it until it cools down. You could try these. Heat the back of the phone, not the screen.

When i froze my phone i put it in a plastic bag and sucked the air out of it to prevent condensation on or in the phone. In my case I would have had plenty of time to turn the wifi on and change settings before it failed again. I was able to get it to work for a month by freezing, doing a factory reset and disconnecting and reconnecting the battery while it was still cold. But last week it failed again and not responding to the previous tricks.

Apr 14, 2014 8:49 AM in response to smith004

the theory is that there is a temp sensor in the wifi chip that gets messed up and taking it to extremes does enough to get it working. the other theory is a bad solder flow and the extreme temp causes the solder to connect again by expansion and contraction.

This worked for me once. Now that its failed again, nothing is doing it. I've attempted to reflow the chip last night on mine, but knocked a small component off next to the chip and I cant finish it until I find my missing solder flux.

I'll let you knoe how it goes when I get it back together hopefully sometime today.

Aug 6, 2014 10:38 AM in response to smith004

I have a 4 With IOS 7.1.2.

After months og browsing the net about WiFi beeing greyed out, I gave up.

Frezzing and heating Works for a short while, however going back to greyed after a day or two.

This summer however, I experienced an quite interesting thing.

In the middle of june I went abroad for six weeks.

The climate was dry, temperatur btw 24 and 29 degrees celcius , altitude by sea level.

Shortly after arriving the Wifi went out of "greyed" status. Wifi worked without any problem for six weeks.

When back home in norhtern Europe after six weeks, WiFi again turned inrto "Greued" status again.

Climate at home was nearly similar to Southern Spain upon arrival.

Surely this must be of interest to Apple ?

Nov 1, 2014 8:35 AM in response to jjgd760

I had the same problem with my iphone 4S, ios 7.1.3. The wifi button was grayed out for some time now. I tried several methods that I found in various forums, including the reset of network settings, airplane mode, fridge and more. NOTHING!

Then I finally did what I wanted to avoid - the heating method, and it worked as follows:

1. iPhone turned on, I held a hair dryer close to it while keeping the screen on and watching it while heating the iphone with the hair dryer.

2. When the temperature warning came up on the screen, I put the iphone aside to cool up in room temperature (shut off the display). I turned it on/off couple of times until I saw that the warning was gone and normal screen came back.

3. The wifi was still grayed out.

4. I then did the network settings reset,

iphone wifi was back to normal!!

Wifi button greyed out?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.