Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I transfer my iTunes music from one internal hard drive to another internal hard drive without having to locate every song?

So I have two internal hard drives in my laptop but the hard drive that my music is on is running out of space. I want to transfer my music from the smaller hard drive to the larger hard drive so my computer can run faster. If I do this I'm afraid I'm going to have to locate every song within the iTunes library. Is there a way around it so I won't have to go in my files and locate every song? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Windows 7

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 8:25 AM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2014 6:20 PM in response to Jthekidd

Instead of moving the entire iTunes folder you can copy it, then do the Shift-launch trick to select the .itl file from its new location. If it works, then go back and delete the original location.

But maybe clarify your configuration ... specifically, is your "iTunes Library.itl" file currently on the same drive that your music files are stored on? Or, do you keep your .itl file on a separate drive than the native files? If the .itl file is on a separate drive right now, then moving or copying the music files over to be on the same drive can result in iTunes not knowing where your native files went. You can get around that using the Consolidate utility in iTunes, but that is not necessary if the .itl file lives with the music files.

How do I transfer my iTunes music from one internal hard drive to another internal hard drive without having to locate every song?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.