Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Pro won't stay asleep

Hi everyone. I took delivery of my new Mac Pro a few days ago. It's the highest spec model (12 core, 64gb memory, 2 x 6gb graphics and 1TB SSD). It's connected to two 30" screens and networked to a Windows storage server.

The problem I have is that it won't stay asleep. Basically after being asleep for a couple of minutes the screens suddenly come back on and the login window appears as though somebody has pressed a key. After a minute or so it goes back to sleep and then it wakes up again and continues in a cycle.

I have tried making sure all programs are closed and nothing is running at all but it still happens.

I just wonder if anyone else has had this issue or might know a solution?

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 9:27 AM

14 replies

Apr 13, 2014 12:45 PM in response to Macron 81

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Apr 23, 2014 9:02 AM in response to sgginc

Okay thanks for all the help guys, I've discovered what the problem is but not how to fix it.

I unplugged everything but the bare minimum and the computer stayed asleep just fine. I then plugged everything in one thing at a time and tested. The culprit was one of my screens! I have an NEC Spectraview Reference 301 screen. It worked just fine on my old Mac Pro but when this screen is powered up the new Mac Pro will not stay asleep for more than 1 minute. My other screen is an Apple Cinema display and this works just fine on its own.

The solution for now is that I have to remember to hit the power button on the NEC screen before I leave the computer. This is fine but I'd love to find out what's causing this issue so I don't have to remember every time! I'm thinking maybe the NEC has some built in power settings so I'm going to fiddle with them now. If anyone else has any further ideas I'd love to hear them!

New Mac Pro won't stay asleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.