Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off ethernet when internet not needed?

When I am not using the internet (e.g. when I am using the eMAC off-line), I thought it might be good (from a security standpoint) to turn off my ethernet, but leaving my DSL modem on.

Am I more secure by turning off ethernet when not needed?

Is there a simple way to turn off ethernet?

eMac, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Aug 21, 2006 6:00 AM

4 replies

Aug 21, 2006 6:30 AM in response to danyet

danyet,

Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

You can go through System Preferences> Netowrk and set up two locations, one for normal use and one in which you edit Network Port Configuration to uncheck the Ethernet port option.

Doing so will certainly ensure nothing reaches your Mac while offline, but as a practical matter it makes no little or no difference. You should have the OS X System Preferences> Sharing> Firewall enabled with all services disabled (unless you intentionally want to enable e.g., Windows Sharing). In Firewall> Advanced, enable Stealth Mode and disable unwanted UDP traffic.

A fairly inexpensive way to increse your physical security without having to switch the Mac's network location back and forth is to put a router with a hardware NAT firewall between the DSL modem and the Mac.

Aug 21, 2006 6:53 AM in response to danyet

That is one advantage of running your eMac with an Airport card. You can have a little Airport strength symbol up on the menu bar and when ever you want, click on that and pick the "Turn off Airport" which shuts off the airport card. This effectively disconnects the Mac from the internet. I use it all the time on my eMac.
Patrick

How to turn off ethernet when internet not needed?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.