Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can one still upgrade to 10.7 Lion?

My Macbook is too old to do the free upgrade to Maverick, which is sad. I am running Snow Leopard, and I am just starting to run into the inevitable issues of being one system too far behind.

It looks like Lion and Mountain Lion are no longer available in the App store. Is there a way to upgrade still, or is there no point?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

ry

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 2:04 PM

8 replies

Apr 13, 2014 2:07 PM in response to robertya

Choose About this Mac from the Apple menu, check if the computer has at least a Xeon or Core 2 Duo(not Core Duo) CPU and 2GB of RAM, and if it does, click here and order a download code for Lion 10.7.

Back up your data before upgrading. Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC programs such as versions of Microsoft Office prior to 2008.

(104736)

Apr 13, 2014 2:39 PM in response to robertya

Hello Robertya,

You can upgrade your memory and add another 1GB which will be enough to run Lion. You could do with that extra GB anyway.

But I would suggest you think carefully about Lion. You could find yourself having to replace any apps you have bought (if they are still available) because the Lion system will not accept any PPC apps you use. You can check the potential for this by running this app.

Application compatibility table - RoaringApps

Can one still upgrade to 10.7 Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.