Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Wi-Fi automatically replace Personal Hotspot when in range?

I use hotspot multiple times a day and there are times when I'm in range of Wi-Fi and my phone continues to use my hotspot data. I connect using a USB and my carrier is T-Mobile. Is there a way to force my iPhone 5s to default to Wi-Fi over Personal Hotspot when I'm in range?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 3:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 3:47 PM

There are two possible scenarios here. The answer in either case is your hotspot will not be replaced by WiFi.

1. You are using your iPhone to create a personal hotspot. In this case, your iPhone is using cellular data to create the hotspot, and that will continue until you either turn it off or the other devices using the hotspot stop using it.

2. Your iPhone is using a hotspot created by some other device (e.g., a MiFi). In this case, the hotspot appears to your iPhone like another WiFi network, and your iPhone will remain connected to it until you disconnect it.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2014 3:47 PM in response to stephmstanton

There are two possible scenarios here. The answer in either case is your hotspot will not be replaced by WiFi.

1. You are using your iPhone to create a personal hotspot. In this case, your iPhone is using cellular data to create the hotspot, and that will continue until you either turn it off or the other devices using the hotspot stop using it.

2. Your iPhone is using a hotspot created by some other device (e.g., a MiFi). In this case, the hotspot appears to your iPhone like another WiFi network, and your iPhone will remain connected to it until you disconnect it.

Can Wi-Fi automatically replace Personal Hotspot when in range?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.