Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems setting data usage for Safari

I'm using iOS7 on an iPhone 5 and I am getting strange behaviour with using cellular data for Safari. Here's what I do.

- If I reboot my phone, everything is fine. Cellular data is set to "on" for Safari, and Safari works as it should.

- The thing is, I like to keep cellular data turned to "off" for Safari because this reminds me to use more data-efficient browsers like Opera Mini when I'm not on wifi (I tend to go over my data limit for my phone so this sort of thing helps me be very aware of how much data I'm using). So I go to Settings and turn cellular data to "off" for Safari. This effectively stops Safari from using data, as it should. One odd thing though is that if I go back to Settings, the button is automatically toggled to "on" even though Safari actually is not able to use data.

- The problem is that occasionally I want to turn data back on for Safari (for example to do things that Opera Mini struggles with). But I can't. No matter what I do, when I open Settings the button for Safari is toggled to "on" but Safari won't let me use data. For example I've tried toggling the button on then off then back on but this does not work.

- The only way to get Safari to use data again is to reboot my phone. And then the cycle repeats itself.

I should note that this problem is new to iOS7. Prior to iOS7 I sort of had the opposite problem - I could not turn data off for native apps (this was a common issue with phones that had been reset - see https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5480625?answerId=23667731022#23667731022). So I have a feeling that when the guys at Apple fixed that bug, they introduced this new one.

I've submitted a bug report to Apple. But I was just wondering if anyone else has been having this sort of issue, and whether anyone has found any fixes?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 4:46 PM

There are no replies.

Problems setting data usage for Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.