Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded RAM now computer dead, no power, no fan, no lcd, nothing

I tried to upgrade the RAM in my mid-2011 27" iMac. I followed OWC's awful advice to leave the computer plugged in to a grounded socket (to discharge static, supposedly). Now the computer doesn't turn on. No power, no fan, nothing. I tried every combination of new and old memory and every slot. Nothing. I fear that leaving the computer plugged in may have damaged something irreversibly. Maybe lost the PMU? Has anyone encountered this? Does anyone have any advice? I would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

iMac, mid-2011

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 8:38 PM

5 replies

Apr 13, 2014 9:19 PM in response to unhappycamper1

OWC does not say to leave the machine plugged in to a grounded socket. The instructions they provide are extermely straight forward. Re-watch them and you will see they clearly indicated to unplug the machine. OWC's instructions can be found at:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2011_mem/

I would recommend calling OWC for support and if they cannot assist then you need to take it to your local Apple Store or AASP to be looked at.

Apr 13, 2014 9:30 PM in response to unhappycamper1

I followed OWC's awful advice to leave the computer plugged in to a grounded socket (to discharge static, supposedly).

Sorry, but I just watched the instructions for your model and it very specifically said to shut down and unplug the computer. I'd contact their support and ask for assistance or take it to your nearest Genius Bar.

Apr 14, 2014 7:41 AM in response to unhappycamper1

They said the only risk was a possible shock not that the computer itself would be damaged.

I'm sorry about your, well, mishap. I would never interpret that as meaning you can change out electrical components while it is plugged in with current flowing in.

OWC's instructions are beside the point.

Well, we have a difference of opinion here; I believe they do matter because they are correct.

According to their instructions here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/installvideos/imac_mid_2011_mem_l/

exactly at the 1:14 mark, he says "after shutting down and unplugging...."

If you have homeowner's insurance, you may want to inquire if such damage is covered. Good luck.

Upgraded RAM now computer dead, no power, no fan, no lcd, nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.