Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS personal hotspot does not let any device connect after a connection from a 5 GHz band

I used my iPhone 5 with latest iOS version. When I connect my iphone to a 5GHz band at home and then ON the Personal Hotspot (PH), my ipad mini retina can't connect to the wifi of the iphone, it said "Unable to connect". I tried it with my laptop and got the same result. But if I disconnect it from the 5GHz and reconnect to a 2.4GHz band (at home too), then turn on PH, it will let other device connect normally.

I know that I can solve the problem by connect to a 2.4GHz and then turn on PH. But the problem is when I go out, every wifi around me is password protected, and I need to share PH to my laptop. it just won't connect. Do a Network reset solve the problem too, but when I come back home and connect to my 5GHz band, the problem still raise, PH will not let any device connect to it until I connect my iphone to a 2.4GHz and then turn on PH again.

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 9:14 PM

2 replies

Aug 5, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Guybrush-Threepwood

I have the solution. I have a Cisco/Linksys EA3500. Connect to its 5ghz network and PH no longer works, connect back to a 2.4Ghz network and it works again.

But the long term fix was to set the Wifi settings on the router to exactly match the Apple recommendations as per this link: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202068

Mine were pretty spot on apart from the channel was set to 40 rather than Auto and I set it to use 802.11n only and not a/n. Changed those and all is well.

iOS personal hotspot does not let any device connect after a connection from a 5 GHz band

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.