Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac disk full error; can't see files to clean up

I have an iMac with 998.28 GB of 999.86 available filled; but the file sizes listed in the Finder only add up to 218.66 GB. What gives? How do I clean out what I can't "see"?

David

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 9:09 PM

12 replies

Apr 16, 2014 9:37 PM in response to drdslewis

I suggest getting an external hard drive and making a bootable clone. If the clone boots and all is well, format the internal drive and clone the clone back. You could also get Disk Warrior and run that on the drive and see if that fixes it.

Time Machine is OK as a secondary backup, but I’d never use it as the only backup. Bootable clones are the way to go because they’ll contain all your disk recovery utilities and you’ll have a choice of trying to repair the drive or just cloning back.

Apr 20, 2014 7:04 PM in response to Mark Piaskiewicz1

I have solved the problem, though not how I thought I would. I took the advice of rkaufmann87 and Mark P. and downloaded a copy of CCC. I already have an external hard drive I bought to make backups of this machine, but I hadn't formatted it correctly. When I kicked off the clone, I saw that there was a file on my son's account that was FAR larger than I thought anything on his ID was. It turns out that it was:

Ez7a.app/Contents/Resources/tempLog.txt

And this .txt file was OVER 700 GB!! I just nuked it and the software from the computer, and voila - problem gone. I couldn't see the size of this file in Disk Inventory - I guess because it was under another user's ID. Lessno learned - log onto EACH user's ID to check the size of the files. Unless someone has some advice on how to check files in other users' directories.

Thanks for the help, guys.

iMac disk full error; can't see files to clean up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.