Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to install Windows 8.1 on an iMac without using a disk drive?

I have very recently bought a brand new iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) and am wondering if there is a way of installing Windows 8.1 full version using Boot Camp without a disk drive?

I need windows on my iMac in order to run a windows only compatible program.

Please help, I need assistance ASAP. Thankyou.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Boot Camp

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 9:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2014 10:13 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

If you only need Windows to run one program (and if this problem does not require the best GPU performance), I recommend you to install Windows in a virtual machine instead of using Boot Camp. With this, you will be able to run Windows without restarting your Mac and there will be no risks during the installation.

To make a virtual machine, you can use an application like Parallels, VMware Fusion or VirtualBox. Then, you only need to get a ISO file of Windows 8.1 with a product key, so you can install it in a virtual machine.

If you still want to install Windows with Boot Camp, you can install Windows from a USB drive (it is the only way in your iMac apart from using an external disc drive). To create the USB drive with Windows, you also need a ISO file of Windows 8.1. You have all the steps in this site > http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1636/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_ 10.8.pdf

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2014 10:13 PM in response to Spaza

Welcome to Apple Support Communities

If you only need Windows to run one program (and if this problem does not require the best GPU performance), I recommend you to install Windows in a virtual machine instead of using Boot Camp. With this, you will be able to run Windows without restarting your Mac and there will be no risks during the installation.

To make a virtual machine, you can use an application like Parallels, VMware Fusion or VirtualBox. Then, you only need to get a ISO file of Windows 8.1 with a product key, so you can install it in a virtual machine.

If you still want to install Windows with Boot Camp, you can install Windows from a USB drive (it is the only way in your iMac apart from using an external disc drive). To create the USB drive with Windows, you also need a ISO file of Windows 8.1. You have all the steps in this site > http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1636/en_US/boot_camp_install-setup_ 10.8.pdf

How to install Windows 8.1 on an iMac without using a disk drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.