Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email moved to Gmail's AllMail folder bouncing back into Apple Mail Inbox

Hi guys!

Since a few days i encounter a weird incident.

Amongst other IMAP email addresses, I am also using Gmail and access all of them via the Apple Mail App (Mavericks).

In the past I could simply move Gmail emails which I wanted to archive into the All Mail folder.

However, since a few days, they keep re-appearing in my inbox after some moments.

Any ideas?

Cheers!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 12:53 AM

2 replies

Apr 14, 2014 3:51 PM in response to ClemKap

Is it that the messages should already be in the All Mail folder?

Gmail marks everything as All Mail, so dragging it there wouldn't do anything.'

Previously, Mail didn't integrate with all of Gmail's goofy features, but now they are trying to make it work.

I have All Mail disabled, so I can't test out my theory, but I figured I'd throw something out to get this moving as it has floundered for a while.

Apr 14, 2014 5:01 PM in response to ClemKap

Barney's right. All Mail folder is nothing more than a smart mailbox which shows messages in gmail's Inbox, Sent, and Trash folder, no matter which they actually reside in. Moving a message from the inbox to it does nothing because it isn't really a mailbox. Useless in my opinion.

Create another imap mailbox in gmail either at the gmail website or in the Mail application. The mailbox should be located in the gmail folder in the sidebar. You can move your messages to it. GMail also has an archiving feature you might look into. It's generally set as default or at least use to be. Unless you just want to manually save individual messages.

GMail has many settings you can change to customize it for an individual's use at their webmail site. I would advise you to explore those options for archiving messages, mailbox behaviors, disabling mailboxes in imap such as All Mail, and many other settings.

You should google using gmail with apple mail for plenty of information customizing it for your mac.

Email moved to Gmail's AllMail folder bouncing back into Apple Mail Inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.