Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What it means to us, if we connect without SSL?

Could not connect to AIM This account is configured to require SSL, but an SSL connection could not be made. To connect without SSL, deselect "Require SSL" in the Server Settings pane of Account preferences.

iChat

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 3:35 AM

1 reply

Apr 14, 2014 1:40 PM in response to Petr.M

Hi,

From iChat version 1 through until about version 4 there was non SSL option for iChat AIM connections.

The connection is supposed to be more secure with SSL as the packets of data involved are encrypted.

This means that non SSL data packets are essentially in plain text.

Now during the time of iChat since the introduction of the SSL option the SSL server has been known to drop the connection more often that the regular server, but it has been improving throughout iChat 5 and 6 and Messages that follows. It also calls for you to manually reconnect as it is not Automatic like the non SSL is.

Of course we now have the HeartBleed issue.

This is where the servers involved in such things as secure logins like this to AIM are potentially, I stress potentially, compromised due to the use of non updated forms of SSL encryption apps on those servers.

The AIM account I use everyday is using SSL

The Apple IDs that are also valid AIM Screen Names don't use the SSL server at AIM but the passwords are changed regularly.

In 15 years of using iChat and now Messages with the AIM servers I have not had a problem.

It was estimated at one time that half the US population had Internet access and half of those had an AIM account of some sort. (About 75 million in the US alone)

(what are the chances of it being you... once you consider world wide numbers)

Previously I would have said if SSL does not work then use the non SSL option.

However based on this story on the BBC I would tend to advise caution at present as there is obviously a surge in people trying to find anyone's details.

User uploaded file

9:39 pm Monday; April 14, 2014

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

What it means to us, if we connect without SSL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.