Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My logic board needs replacement and Apple insists on charging me because I am not covered even though the Apple service told me it's a manufacturer error. The faulty piece is the graphics card . What do i do?

My logic board needs replacement and Apple insists on charging me because I am not covered even though the Apple service told me it's a manufacturer error. The faulty piece is the graphics card .

Before updating to Mavericks my laptop was working perfectly. Three months ago i upgraded to Mavericks and since then my laptop started becoming slow, and sometimes it freezes, however last week it started getting hot and making a fan noise. I sent my laptop for an authorized apple service center and I was informed that the logic board needs replacement.

My 15' macbook pro: late 2011

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), Late 2011

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 4:29 AM

5 replies

Apr 14, 2014 4:48 AM in response to linadudu

You may be having a defectively solder GPU (as have many of us 2011 owners) as in discussion here -> https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?tstart=0.

Apple is not accepting this as a 'defect,' however, and there are only two ways to have the problem fixed (and the second option is cheaper and an actual 'fix'):

Have Apple replace the logic board, or;

get your GPU replaced and properly soldered.

As I said, the second choice is the best. Some companies have a one-year guarantee for this repair while with the logic board replacement Apple only gives you a 90-day warranty.

Read some selections in the discussion - if the problems seem to be the same, make your choice.

Clinton

My logic board needs replacement and Apple insists on charging me because I am not covered even though the Apple service told me it's a manufacturer error. The faulty piece is the graphics card . What do i do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.