Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to Upgrade MacPro2,1 - Told "Invalid" Serial #?

Trying to upgrade my MacPro2,1 Quad-Core Intel Xeon, I had a question for support (https://getsupport.apple.com/ServiceOptionAction.action).

I tried to connect to chat support, entered my serial number, as required to connect with support - and received error message saying the serial number isn't 'valid.'

But it's my serial number. I cut & pasted it, doublechecked it. Now what? How can it not be 'valid'? And what do I do now??

Thanks! DHC

p.s. This is the first step in trying to figure out how to get copies of software I'm using on my laptop onto this computer. What I was 'really' trying to find out was how to download an earlier version of 1Password, since using the "Purchases" Install Option seems to want to just install the latest version of the software - and that won't work on my current operating system.

But when I folllowed the yellow-brick-road of support prompts and finally got to where I could ask a question, I was asked to supply my computer serial number and then told it was invalid. So ... like ... now do I have to go find the broom of a wicked witch or something before I can ask my question?

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 6:25 AM

6 replies

Apr 14, 2014 11:01 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks so much for your reply, Grant.

The serial number I submitted is the serial number of the computer I'm trying to upgrade, which I found the way the support page directed me, by looking under the Apple Menu in "About this Mac."

After I read your response and went to my list of apple products, and didn't see this product there. I started thinking maybe the message I got is telling me is that "APPLE can't find your computer as a registered computer on our database" - not that the serial number itself is actually invalid.

So I tried to register the machine (on this page: https://supportprofile.apple.com/regProd) and got this message:

We're sorry, but this serial number is either invalid or it is for Apple software or accessories. If you are trying to register Apple hardware other than an accessory, please check your information and try again.

I've double/triple checked the serial number, and triple-checked that I'm using the method they recommend to get it. So maybe I don't understand what's meant by 'invalid?'

I await further advice with bated breath.

I suppose the game is afoot. Sigh. I only wish it was a game with rules I understood.

DHC

Apr 14, 2014 12:43 PM in response to The hatter

I'm sorry -- I don't understand the relevance of either your question or what you said about screenshots.

Is this a forum of people trying to come up with helpful guesses? If so, please let me know. I appreciate the effort but if that's what this is then it's probably better for me to just connect with my computer tech.

Thank you.

Apr 14, 2014 1:18 PM in response to DHC - HipHarp.com

Yes, we are end users, we play 20 questions!

And when a computer was sent in and a new logicboard installed either firmware is different which is one issue, and the serial number will be different. There is no way for us to know what if any service has been done.

The relevence is the unwritten rule "never post serial numbers anywhere on the 'net." You didn't but was for informational purpose, for you and readers.

Apr 14, 2014 2:21 PM in response to DHC - HipHarp.com

My post suggesting you check your supportprofile is sometimes helpful for folks who have mis-read their serial number or forgotten their serial number. I am sorry it did not help you.

What we are doing here is group brainstorming how you could come up with more helpful information. Some of the suggestions generated may be helpful, or may get you or others thinking about issues that lead to a solution. Some suggestions may be wide of the mark for your situation.

Shutting off divergent suggestions may mean you get no help thinking about what to do.

The decision and the legwork is ultimately yours. Others are making an effort to be helpful, even if the actual suggestions may not apply to your specific situation in this case.

Trying to Upgrade MacPro2,1 - Told "Invalid" Serial #?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.