Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3 beeps on startup

I have an early 2011 Macbook Pro 13" unibody with I7 processor and 4GB ram (2x2). I recently bought this computer used and it reportedly had water damage. I installed a new hard drive.

There are no signs of corrosion and the unit is thoroughly dry inside. When I try to boot with no bootable media I get a grey screen with a folder and ?, which seems correct for a laptop with no OS installed. If I place a bootable disc (retail Snow Leopard) in either the internal superdrive or an external drive and boot using the "C" command then I received 3 beeps which repeat every couple seconds.

I have removed and reinstalled the ram, swapped the module positions, cleaned the contacts on both the sockets and the ram modules, used 1 and or 2 modules, changed the ram to known good ram from another computer, verified the ram is the correct type and tried the NVRAM reset. No matter what I still get the 3 beeps, but only when there is bootable media in the optical drive.

A couple other things to note is that the grey screens kinda flickers during the initial boot but remains stable once it geets to the ? folder or the beeps.

Could this be a logic board/processor issue? Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions, advice or assistance.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 9:27 AM

1 reply

Apr 14, 2014 10:12 AM in response to tooolman

tooolman wrote:

I recently bought this computer used and it reportedly had water damage.

Could this be a logic board/processor issue? Any suggestions?

You can try resetting the SMC http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

It is so hard to tell what could be round, especially if there was water damage, dry or not.

Your best bet is take it in, or replace the logic board yourself.

3 beeps on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.