Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to re-set up Canon printer

Until a couple of days ago my Canon Pixma MG6350 worked fine on Mountain Lion, iMac mid-2007, via Wireless. I haven't performed any systems updates to my knowledge. However, I did try to install Remote on my iPhone for a wireless speaker application, which so far does not work and wonder whether some strange thing has happened there.

But now my printer no longer works - neither on the iMac desktop, nor on my laptop, MBA mid-2011, running OS 10.5.7. It just keeps looking for the printer, tells me either that it is in use and the printer is not connected (MBA) or that it can't even find the driver (iMac).

I have done the following on the iMac

- completely deleted the printer driver from System Preferences

- deleted alll things Canon from the Library

- reinstalled the printer driver from the Canon website

- turned the printer off and back on

Even though I have reinstalled the driver package and the software is in my library again, I cannot add a printer in System Preferences. I hit + and it. can't. find. anything.

Here's hoping for some help.

Thomas

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 10:11 AM

5 replies

Apr 15, 2014 11:57 AM in response to Radiothomas

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. We're users here and don't speak for "Apple Inc." or "Canon Inc."

Sounds like you've covered all the basic troubleshooting steps.

You didn't mention if you've reset your wireless router or not.

One last possibility to get it to print RIGHT NOW, might be to connect via USB if you haven't already tried that, not as a permanent solution, but to quickly get something (tax forms?) in the mail TODAY.

You probably need to reset the printing system on one or both computers.

Here's the instructions for OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11143

IMPORTANT NOTE: If you have customized print job settings saved, WRITE DOWN or SCREEN CAPTURE all the details of each customized print setting, BEFORE YOU RESET THE PRINTING SYSTEM, because in resetting your printing system, you will lose any and all settings you have created.

Apr 25, 2014 2:30 AM in response to kostby

I was away from my headache of a printer issue... on vacation... and am now back to deal with it. I was having the same problem with my wife's MBP running Mavericks. I install the printer drivers - fouind at this link:

https://www.canon-europe.com/Support/Consumer_Products/products/Fax__Multifuncti onals/InkJet/PIXMA_MG_series/PIXMA_MG6350.aspx?DLtcmuri=tcm:13-1099292&page=2&ty pe=download

(and a big rap to the head of Canon which doesn't trim the options of drivers available and for what functions such as scanning or just printing) once you have selected your computer and OS)

...and I still can't print wirelessly. The drivers don't show up even though I've installed them. However, I CAN print via USB... as soon as I connect the USB cable it works. I haven't tried this yet for my desktop iMac since that necessitates moving the printer physicaly closer to the desktop... but at least I can print for the time being.

Why should I reset my wireless router? What good might that do? I did unplug and restart my router, but I didn't reset it. I also hesitate to follow that route since that means getting in touch with my ISP and them emailing me a new access code... which is a whole other can of worms.

Argh!

Apr 25, 2014 6:20 PM in response to Radiothomas

Indeed I meant, 'cycle the power to the router', NOT to reset it and start over with that configuration.

Sounds like something in your wireless network changed.

Did your (failed) iPhone wireless speaker app attempt to setup using Bluetooth, or did it attempt to use an IP address in your wireless router?

If the iPhone grabbed the IP address that was previously assigned to your printer, that could explain why the printer is no longer visible. I manually set the IP addresses for all my wireless devices, instead of leaving it to automatic DNS settings to figure out.

Can you "see" your printer from your wireless router? In other words, is the printer visible to the router? My wireless router (D-Link) has a dynamic list of the devices attached at any given moment, as well as a log that captures all attempted connections.

Have you tried deleting and re-adding the Canon wireless connection from the printer?

Unable to re-set up Canon printer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.