Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have downloaded free excel from apple store, but unable to work on excel as it's asks to subscribe. What's the definition of fee app?

I have downloaded free version of excel, I'm unable to work on it,(read only) when you open the excel. It says you need to subscribe or buy. If it free than why do I need to buy. Could you please explain what is that I'm missing. And how do I start using it.

iPad, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 11:13 AM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2014 11:19 AM in response to Vishaltm27

The Excel app lets you open/read Excel documents for free, but to edit or create spreadsheets, you need a subscription. This is what is called a "freemium" app - it offers limited functionality for free, but lets you add additional functionality via an in-app purchase. As sschmidt said, Microsoft is the one who chose to go with the freemium model for their apps.

I have downloaded free excel from apple store, but unable to work on excel as it's asks to subscribe. What's the definition of fee app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.