Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old music not availible

Hello!

So my old G4 died and I removed the HD. Connected it to my iMac, then copied and pasted music from there to a fold on the iMac. Everything is there from the old HD. But it's really messy, so I reorganized artists, and albums. Renamed my own recordings and moved them to the correct folders. I then up loaded a few new cd's I bought.

So here's the issue. I look in my itunes/media/music folder, and it's all there like I wanted it. But I then open itunes and some albums are there, some are not even appearing. I'll click on my own bands music for example and there's a track here or there... But missing most of the tracks.

Any ideas???

I have uninstalled and reinstalled itunes. And I've consolidated the music to a new folder...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), itunes problems

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 11:49 AM

2 replies

Apr 14, 2014 8:52 PM in response to Jonathan M Judd

iTunes doesn't inventory your media folder, it relies upon the library file being correct and only really works with reference to that. If you rename a file in Finder it will not be updated in iTunes and the file will be disconnected (broken link). If you add a file in Finder, iTunes will not know you wanted it in the library. iTunes only updates when you add a file to iTunes, not to the folders.

First, unlesss you absolutely have to have your files and folders as you want to have them (and you need a separate set of instructions if you do) you are probably better off letting iTunes do the organizing. If you made a backup undo everything you did before. Copy the whole iTunes folder and everything it contains as-is to the new computer. Start iTunes with the option/alt key held down and guide it to the iTunes library.itl file in the copied folder.

Old music not availible

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.