Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture 3.5.1 won't start on my new MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.9.2

I've just got a new MacBook Pro and as Aperture kept crashing on my old MacBook Pro (mid 2009), I didn't migrate but installed Aperture again. I also installed Final Cut 4, which aparently messes up the workings of Aperture, so I took it off again. Still, "Aperture can not be opened because of a problem." It asks me to check that Aperture works with the OS X (10.9.2), which it should and did on my old MacBook. I think others may have the same problem, but I can't find a solution.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 1:54 PM

Download and reinstall OS X Mavericks, per Apple kbase article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3528

7 replies

Apr 15, 2014 3:18 AM in response to William Lloyd

Really? This takes ages! Anyway, I'll try and keep my fingers crossed.

Seems the problem may be Final Cut Express v4 and Aperture not being able to work together? What does one do? Is installing Final Cut FIRST going to solve the problem?

On my old MacBook, I had both installed (Final Cut being added after Aperture) and at least Aperture would open and kind of work, although it would periodically crash (which seems to be another general problem).

Apr 15, 2014 8:05 AM in response to wodiczka

What does one do? Is installing Final Cut FIRST going to solve the problem?

On my old MacBook, I had both installed (Final Cut being added after Aperture) and at least Aperture would open and kind of work, although it would periodically crash (which seems to be another general problem).

The problem is, that the Final Cut installation replaces a necessary dynamic library by an incompatible one. Reinstalling MacOS will restore this library. With Snow Leopard and Lion it helped indeed to install Final Cut Express first and then reinstall MacOS X, to get both Pro applications to work, but you may run into general compatibility problems with FCE 4 and Mavericks, independent of Aperture, see e.g. this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5467015?tstart=0

Aperture 3.5.1 won't start on my new MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.9.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.