Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Guest Network in Airport Utility

I have just been reconfiguring my wireless network. I noticed it's still broadcasting a guest network, yet when I try to configure it in airport utility I can no longer find the guest network settings. I'm sure they used to be in the Wireless section of the Airport Extreme setup. Does anyone know where have they moved to? Thanks.

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 1:33 PM

3 replies

Apr 14, 2014 1:45 PM in response to todfromuk

It really helps us provide a better and more accurate answer for you.....if we know what operating system you are using on your Mac or PC.

We'll take a guess that you are using Lion, Mountain Lion, or Mavericks.

Open AirPort Utility

Click on the AirPort Extreme

Click Edit in the smaller window that appears

Click the Wireless tab at the top of the window

User uploaded file

If you are still using the Leopard, Snow Leopard, or PC version of AirPort Utility.....the Guest Network settings appear as their own tab.

User uploaded file

Apr 14, 2014 2:20 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob

Thanks for the swift reply. I continued searching through the topics after I asked the above question and found an earlier answer from you to someone else's query about a year ago. Although the question was slightly different, the answer seems to cover this instance too. My new internet serivce provider had forced my Extreme to automically flick into Bridge Mode. Thus all the Guest Network settings disappeared from Airport Utility.

What was strange however, was that the Extreme still seemed to be broadcasting the earlier Guest network that I had configured while using my old service provider. I wasn't actually able to try it (as I forgot the password long ago), but it appeared in the WiFi Network lists of all the iPhones etc in the house.

In order to diasable it I simply performed a factory reset on the base station, then re-instated all the other network settings to where they were. The ghost guest network has gone now.

In case this is of any interest to you I'm running OSX 10.6.8, with a 4th gen Extreme, and Airport Utility 5.6.1.

Thanks

Apr 14, 2014 2:34 PM in response to todfromuk

What was strange however, was that the Extreme still seemed to be broadcasting the earlier Guest network that I had configured while using my old service provider.

Strange, but true. If you enabled the Guest Network when the Extreme was set up as a router....and then switched to Bridge Mode....the Guest Network would continue to appear as a wireless network (since it was "Enabled" previously......but you would not be able to connect to the Internet through the Guest Network.....and.....you would not even see the Guest Network tab in AirPort Utility......unless you reset it back to factory defaults, as you did.

Guest Network in Airport Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.