Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you split a list of dates/times into weeks?

Hello all,

I am trying to make a time management spreadsheet that will keep track of my odd hours at my workplace. What I want to do is have one table with all of my date/times in and out, hours worked, and notes, that is then linked to a form. In a second table, I'd like to tablulate my week-by-week totals as well as monthly leave totals (sick/annual leave). What I can't work out is if you can make a table that automatically calculates a total number of hours for a week/month. So for example, if I have all my work from January through March in my first table, that the second table would be able to split that sheet into week-long sections and calculate the total number of hours worked for each week. Is such a thing possible in Numbers? Am I making sense? Thanks for the help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 1:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 1:58 PM

Yes you can do that quite easily in Numbers. SUMIF is your friend here:

User uploaded file

In cell B2, copied down: =SUMIF(Timesheet::A,A2,Timesheet::C)

If you want totals by month, you could add a Month column and apply the same approach.

There are more complicated approaches using date math functions, but I find this the easiest.

SG

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2014 1:58 PM in response to Lithium3fun

Yes you can do that quite easily in Numbers. SUMIF is your friend here:

User uploaded file

In cell B2, copied down: =SUMIF(Timesheet::A,A2,Timesheet::C)

If you want totals by month, you could add a Month column and apply the same approach.

There are more complicated approaches using date math functions, but I find this the easiest.

SG

Apr 14, 2014 2:33 PM in response to SGIII

Ah! I have no idea how I never saw that before.

While typing in SUMIF I noticed SUMIFS, which I think fits my needs well. My only problem is that I can't figure out how to use a reference in a condition along with an operator. So for example =SUMIF(Work Times::C2:C84,Work Times::A2:A84,>=A14,Work Times::A2:A84,<=B14) returns a syntax error. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?User uploaded file

I don't see how it's any different than Apple's own example:

User uploaded file

Message was edited by: Lithium3fun

Apr 14, 2014 2:39 PM in response to Lithium3fun

=SUMIF(Work Times::C2:C84,Work Times::A2:A84,>=A14,Work Times::A2:A84,<=B14) returns a syntax error.

I won't have and opportunity to test here, but I think you need to add double quotes and concatenate, e.g.

>=A14

should be

">="&A14

etc.

And you need to use SUMIFS if you have more than one column-criterion pair.

SG

Apr 14, 2014 2:47 PM in response to Lithium3fun

Lithium3fun wrote:

...My only problem is that I can't figure out how to use a reference in a condition along with an operator. So for example =SUMIF(Work Times::C2:C84,Work Times::A2:A84,>=A14,Work Times::A2:A84,<=B14) returns a syntax error. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

If you look carefully at the examples, you will see that the conditions are all text strings. You can convert your condition with a reference in it to a string by writing:

=SUMIF(Work Times::C2:C84,Work Times::A2:A84,">="&A14,Work Times::A2:A84,"<="&B14)

Regards,

Jerry

How do you split a list of dates/times into weeks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.