Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need Help Importing to iMovie (without duplicating)

I am a complete novice with iMovie, so please forgive me for what might be a stupid question. A while back, I dumped all the files from my video camera into our TimeCapsule. I wanted to make a DVD of my daughter's home movies and I launched iMovie, imported the files I just downloaded from my camera, got busy, and then forgot about them. When I first imported them on the TimeCapsule, I imported them into Adobe Lightroom because that's what I use for my photos. I then launched iMovie and it wanted me to import there, so I imported again.. So I think i already have some of the same files on TimeCapsule as on my laptop's harddrive.

1) Is there a way that iMovie can point to files in different locations and add them to the library without "truly" importing them... thus avoiding duplicate copies?

2) If the answer is no, and if I HAVE to import them onto my laptop, is there a way I can import them without duplicating what's already there? There are some videos on my laptop that don't exist on the TimeCapsule, and there are lots of new videos and iphone videos on the time capsule that don't exist on the desktop. It would be extremely difficult to import each clip one by one and verify which ones have already been uploaded and which haven't - it seems ridiculous. Surely there is a way to only import the deltas??

Let me know - it's driving me crazy and I have no idea what I'm even looking at here. iMovie 10.0.3

iMovie '11, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Imovie version is 10.0.3

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 2:26 PM

1 reply

Need Help Importing to iMovie (without duplicating)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.