Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a formula to create a seating plan from an exisiting table

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some help using Numbers to create a table seating plan using my guest lists in Numbers.

I have a master list for guests which includes their names, addresses and contact details. I was hoping to add another colum to that master list with table numbers and then have another table with the guests names in a list for each table.

Is there a formula i can use to look up the names from TableA and copy them into TableB? So when I change the table numbers on the master list it will add them into TableB? Not sure if it is possible but many thanks for your help!

(Excuse the silly tables... I'm a kindy teacher...)

TableA

Name 1Surname 2Address 3table number 4
JohnSmiththe woods1
PeterPanNeverland2
CinderellaCharmingGlass Slipper Castle1
PrinceCharmingGlass Slipper Castle1
ArielThe Sea2
Cruella divilleOld House3

Table B

Table 1Table 2Table 3
John SmithPeter PanCruella Diville
CinderellaAriel
Prince Charming

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 3:16 PM

9 replies

Apr 14, 2014 7:50 PM in response to memsfromsydney

User uploaded file

The formulas are in the second table, named "Tables".

In cell B2 (where is now says John Smith in the screen shot), Paste from this post:

=IFERROR(OFFSET(Data::$A$1,MATCH(B$1&$A2, Data::$D,0)−1 ,0)&" "&OFFSET(Data::$A$1,MATCH(B$1&$A2, Data::$D,0)−1 ,1),"-")

Copy that cell and Paste to all the body cells (where the names are to go).

That's it. Just be sure to name your tables exactly as I did, Data and TABLES.

Jerry

Apr 14, 2014 8:20 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerry,

You are an absolute star! Thank you so much, I'm so close! My problem is my master list is a little more detailed... I have tried to edit the formula you gave me but I keep mucking it up! Here is a screen shot with fake names entered into my original list.

I am hoping to keep the master list as it is so I can send various tables to the people that need them (invitations people, venue people etc.) and only include the information that each team will need.

I am so sorry to be such a pest! Thank you so sticking with me!User uploaded file

Megan

Apr 15, 2014 7:49 AM in response to memsfromsydney

Megan,

Here are the important details:

1. Main data table name. For my formulas to work, your main table must be Data.

2. Column for seat number. In my example, the seat i.d. is in column D. In your main table, it appears that you will be using column K. This means that every instance of D will have to be changed to K.

3. Name columns have moved. Your first example had the first and last names in columns A and B. Since you inserted a Title column ahead of the names, I moved the Offset function anchor to column B.

That's a lot of changes, so I'm not surprised that you are having trouble. It would have been so much better if you had revealed the actual table layout in the first statement of the question.

If you do all that, and I'll save you the trouble, you will need:

=IFERROR(OFFSET(Data::$B$1,MATCH(B$1&$A2, Data::$K,0)−1 ,0)&" "&OFFSET(Data::$B$1,MATCH(B$1&$A2, Data::$K,0)−1 ,1),"-")

Fill Down and Fill Across

Make sure your receiving table (table of seat assignments) has the same Header text as my example, as the header cell text is used in the addressing.

Your result will now look something like this:

User uploaded file

Regards,

Jerry

Is there a formula to create a seating plan from an exisiting table

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.