Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wifi symbol has died.. is it for good?

My mac 10.6.8 has been sweet for ages, and then just randomly now it won't connect to wifi. the rainbow symbol on top right corner is always light grey and nomatter where i try (including other peeps houses) it will not pick up any signal. so annoying! can anyone help? i've tried a few of the techniques mentioned in other threads..

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 4:14 PM

7 replies

Apr 15, 2014 4:48 PM in response to Eric Root

thanks for the replies guys, so i just tried changing the MTU size and also renewing DHCP lease.

I have ensured the wifi is on.

have 'added' a network.

We have around 20 people in this community so there are like 18 laptops and they have no issues with the wifi which is why i didn't bother turning the router on and off again. but I've turned the laptop on and off again!

hmm its very confusing.. still no luck

Apr 16, 2014 12:40 PM in response to macannator

First contact your ISP. You need to confirm that the issue is not on their end.

Change your router channel. Sometimes this is all you will have to do.

Power cycling the router. Read the router's user manual or contact their tech support for instructions.

System Preferences/Internet & Network/Network

Unlock the padlock

Locations: Automatic

Highlight Airport

Click the Assist Me button

In the popup window click the Diagnostic button.

System Preferences/Network- Unlock padlock. Highlight Airport. Network Name-select your name. Click on the Advanced button. Airport/Preferred Networks-delete all that is not your network.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined." Click the OK button and lock the padlock. Restart your computer.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1920 Mac OS: How to release and renew a DHCP lease

No internet connection (wireless)

Check to see if an extra entry is present in the DNS Tab for your wireless connection (System Preferences/Network/Airport/Advanced/DNS).

Delete all extra entries that you find.

Place a check mark next to "Remember networks this computer has joined."

Other resources to check into:

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi issues in OS X Lion and Mac OS X v10.6

Configuring 802.1X in Mac OS X Lion and Later

Non-responsive DNS server or invalid DNS configuration can cause long delay before webpages load

Netspot

How to diagnose and resolve Wi-Fi slow-downs

Pv6 troubleshooting

Mac OS X 10.6 Help: Solving problems with connecting to the Internet

What Affects Wireless Internet?

Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

If using one of Apple's Airport routers, read its user manual or post in its forum area. If using a 3rd party router, read its user manual, contact their tech support department/website or post in its forum area. Another possible solution - read mammothsuziq response https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4096745?answerId=22082360022#22082360022

User uploaded file

wifi symbol has died.. is it for good?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.