Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Behringer UMC202 interface problem with MacBook Pro

I bought one of these interfaces to use with Mainstage and my 13" MacBook Pro Retina display 2.8 GHz i7, OSX 10.9.2. For some reason, although it works fine on two other MacBooks running the same OS as well as on a Windows PC, on my newer one it totally fails to communicate over USB. I've also tried a Focusrite Scarlett and it works fine on my MacBook, so it's just this combination. All appears normal in system preferences and Audio Midi setup at first, but after trying to use it with, for example, Adobe Audition, it gives some interrupted output at first, then stops after a few seconds. No input at all and eventually it disappears from the list of interfaces.

I've asked Behringer and they suggested I ask Apple so I hope someone else may have encountered this.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 4:00 PM

5 replies

Apr 16, 2014 11:00 AM in response to aussound

Hey there aussound,

It sounds like you are unable to use the audio interface device with this one computer only, and it works everywhere else. I recommend these steps from the following article to help you troubleshoot or isolate what is happening:

MainStage 3: Troubleshooting basics

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6076

Confirm requirements and versions

• Make sure that you haven't overlooked any hardware aspect that's required to use MainStage 3. You can view system requirements on the Mac App Store.
  • Update to the latest software version. Click the Updates button on the Mac App Store and install any available updates. This ensures that your software has the latest improvements and enhancements.
  • Check compatibility and driver versions for devices not manufactured by Apple ("third-party"). You can check the third-party product manufacturer's website to be sure that you're using the latest version of the relevant driver or other software for your product. This advice applies to an audio interface, MIDI interface, storage system, control surface, or plug-ins. Learn more about troubleshooting possible issues with Audio Unit plug-ins.

Create a new concert

Sometimes concert files can become unusable, causing unexpected behavior in MainStage. Choose File > New and select a template in the template selector window. Test to see if the issue occurs in the new concert.

Delete user preferences

You may be able resolve issues by restoring MainStage back to its original settings. This will not impact your Concert files. To reset your MainStage user preference settings to their original state:

1. In the Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder from the menu.
  2. Type: ~/Library/Preferences
  3. Click the Go button.
  4. Remove the com.apple.mainstage3.plist file from the Preferences folder.
  5. Restart the computer.

Or, you can quit MainStage, open Terminal, then execute this command:defaults delete com.apple.mainstage3

Try a different user account

See Isolating an issue by using another user account.

Reinstall MainStage

If an issue persists, you might consider reinstalling MainStage. To reinstall a fresh copy of MainStage:
  1. Delete MainStage from the /Applications folder.
  2. Open the Mac App Store and re-download MainStage from the Purchases section.

For more information about settings and installation refer to the MainStage 3 User Guide.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

All the best,

Sterling

Apr 21, 2014 5:47 AM in response to sterling r

Thanks for the suggestions Sterling. The problem is a bit wider than just MainStage as the interface wouldn't work with any audio programs. As it turned out, I took it back to the dealer who showed me three other interfaces (two Focusrite and a Presonus) which had also been returned as they wouldn't work with Mavericks.

Even wierder is that I ended up replacing mine with one of the returned Focusrite ones, which worked just fine with my computer. It seems like a wider issue here, so my problem is solved but I have no idea why this one worked and the other one didn't on my Mac, but why it didn't work on someone else's Mac.

Regards, aussound

Jun 6, 2015 9:48 PM in response to aussound

It appears to be the new hardware new macs are having. I have the exact same problem, my interface works sweet with my old MacBook white (the last generation), but does not work with a new mac mini I bought three weeks ago. A firmware update is available at the behringer website, which you can only do from a PC. Haven't tried it yet, maybe it could help.

Behringer UMC202 interface problem with MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.