Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

updated itunes, now my ipod wont connect

I've recently updated my Itunes but now my Ipod wont connect to itunes or my computer. i've tried the help instructions on apples website but it doesn't help. Is there somebody who can help me with this problem?

iPod nano

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 4:06 PM

1 reply

Apr 16, 2014 10:55 AM in response to LlivL

Hello there,

It sounds like your iPod Nano is not seen in iTunes after a recent update. I don't know if you have tried the steps in the following article but it is where I would start troubleshooting. Just select your iPod Nano version and follow the steps within:

iPod Troubleshooting Assistants

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/

If the issue persists, I would next do the troubleshooting in this article:

iTunes: iPod not recognized in iTunes and Mac desktop

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1410

If you're using Windows, follow these steps.

Check your iPod cable

1. Use the cable that came with your iPod. Some third-party cables may not work with iPod.
  2. Make sure that nothing is in or blocking your computer's FireWire or USB port.
  3. Make sure that the cable is completely plugged in.
    Note:
    If you're using an iPod shuffle (4th generation), make sure that the small end of the USB cable isinserted securely in the iPod shuffle's headset jack.
  4. Try another known-good FireWire or Apple 30-pin to USB Cable.

If switching cables fixes the issue, then you should replace the original cable. You can order a replacement iPod cable at the iPod Service website.

Disconnect all other USB and FireWire devices

Your Mac can power USB and FireWire devices that don't have their own power sources, but if you have too many devices connected to your computer, your Mac may not recognize your iPod. To see if this is the case:

1. Disconnect all devices from your computer's USB and FireWire ports.
  2. Connect your iPod to your computer's USB or FireWire port using the cable that came with the iPod.

If your Mac recognizes your iPod, you might consider buying a powered USB or FireWire hub to connect your nonpowered devices. You can buy a hub from the Apple Store.

Try alternate ports

1. Verify that your connections are secure.
  2. Try another known-good FireWire or USB port on your computer or on a different computer.

If this fixes the issue, consult your computer's service and support guide to find out how to get the computer's port repaired. If your computer doesn't recognize any USB or FireWire devices through any port, follow these steps.

Check the iPod system requirements

Verify that your Mac meets the iPod system requirements. Select your country and model of iPod to review the system requirements.Third-party FireWire and USB cards and PC cards may not work and aren't supported by Apple.

Check your iTunes and iPod Support installation

1. Install the latest version of iTunes on your computer. Make sure that iTunes is installed on the startup disk and not on another volume.
  2. Download iTunes and reinstall it.
Mac OS X 10.5 and 10.6 only: If the issue remains, insert your OS X installation disc. In the Finder, select your OS X installation disc and double-click Optional Installs. When you see a list of software to install, select iPod support and finish the installation. Restart your Mac and test.

Check the ports on your iPod

1. Make sure that nothing is in or blocking the dock connector or FireWire port on your iPod.
  2. Make sure that you completely plugged in the dock connector or FireWire cable.

If the above steps don't resolve the issue, your iPod may need service. You can arrange for service at the iPod Service website.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers,

Sterling

updated itunes, now my ipod wont connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.