Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes and corrupted metadata

I have a BIG problem. I don't know how it happened, but my itunes librairy is all messed up. Even the songs in the folders are messed up. I have iTunes match and now even it is messed up.

Is there a way to revert the itunes match "match"? Is there a way to clean up the floders or the metadata?

Thank you for your help.

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 6:17 PM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2014 8:46 PM in response to dialooc

You need to give us some more details. How are the metadata and folders "messed up." The iTunes Match service does not modify your existing ID3 tags, and it is iTunes that will keep your library folders organized based on those ID3 tags. So what ever has happened to the metadata isn't related to iTunes Match.

So what seems to be the specific problem?

Apr 15, 2014 7:28 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Sorry for the lack of details.

Basicaly, I think that my itunes librairy has been corrupted and because I have check to let itunes to organize my folders in the folder iTunes Media, Itunes has reorganize my songs in the music folder. I have attach a picture. I'm in the Arcade fire folder and you can see that it has other songs in that folder. I have about 5500 songs. I'm looking for a way to reorganize the songs in albums folder.

If I could return in a past library in iTunes match, I would redownload the songs.

Let say I have a folderUser uploaded file

Apr 15, 2014 8:24 PM in response to dialooc

When you have the "let iTunes manage the library" option in the Prefs selected, iTunes uses the ID3 tags of the track to organize the folders into Artist/Album/Song. So if the tags are "wrong" the actual files may be in strange places in the iTunes Media/Music folder. To "fix" the folders you need to edit the ID3 tags. This web page can help you understand: http://samsoft.org.uk/iTunes/grouping.asp.

This is not an issue with iTunes Match.

Jul 1, 2015 9:02 AM in response to Michael Allbritton

I had a very similar problem.

suddenly all the metadata was conflicting ,and the albums were messed up,for example Cat Stevens named on a Deep

Purple compilation.

had various conversations with Apple UK support and tried various fixes.

itunes match was ok on those devices that hadn't been updated to 8.2.

the fixes failed but 8.4 installed today and the problem has been fixed.

turn off iTunes match BEFORE updating software then turn back on afterwards

worked for me

Itunes and corrupted metadata

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.