Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard reset, DFU, recovery mode

There are alot of ways people post on the internet on how to do this, sometmes that method is successful but in alot of cases its not.. I would like to have labeled this IOS rather than a single device..

--If you took your ios in for repair, and they said the battery was bad, try this

--if after trying to update your ios with the new software your device stoped working try this

--if you have tried geting into recovery mode by other methods and it quits before completion try this method

--for anyone else that needs to do a fresh install try this method first, all other methods may or may not work,, this one will

step1: turn on the computer that you will conect to the IOS device. Make sure it has the latest itunes software, and that itunes is started.

Step2: locate the wall power adapter that came with the ios device or use a wall power adapter that does not have any way to comunicate with the ios device

step 3: plug the one end of the usb cord into the usb slot of the wall power adapter, the other end into the iphone and the wall adapter into an active power slot.

The reason for this much needed step, is sometimes there is a catch or other glich that will not allow the computer to ignore the write error and thus creating a conection failure, or the glich has caused the device to think there is a problem with a fully functioning battery despite the fact the battery is fine.

step 4: with the device pluged into wall power

1)press and hold the power button (sometimes called the sleep/ wake botton or the menu botton on ipod classics)

2)after about ten secounds the apple logo should appear,, once that happens while continuing to hold the power botton start to hold the home botton (the round botton with the square in it or the fingure print botton in the 5s) you should hold both of these together for aproxiametly 5-10 secounds

3) now the apple logo should have disapeared, you need to continue to hold the home botton, but release the power botton

4)shortly after that the recovery mode should start, you will see the Itunes logo, and the USB adapter

----------you have successfully entered a proper hard reset, other wise known as DFU mode, or recovery mode

5) quickly before the device quits this mode, unplug the device from wall power and plug it into the itunes enabled computer

step 5: Itunes will say,'itunes has detected a "put device name here" in recovery mode you must restore this "put device name here" before conectiong it to itunes" CLICK ON "OK"

step 6: click restore ipad, a message will pop up "Are you sure you want to restore the iPad “iPad” to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPad software will be installed." CLICK ON Restore and Update

step 7: wait for itunes to finish

iPad, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 9:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 9, 2017 7:30 PM

Hi James. My iPad is only charging to 1% and when it turns on it's goes to the hello screen. I press home and it's just turns off and tries happens in a loop. Apple says the battery is bad but how can I try your method?

24 replies

Jul 23, 2014 3:01 AM in response to YummyHam239

Just to help others that may find themselves in my situation...

I have solved my problem. I used the instructions on this site: http://geekindisguise.wordpress.com/2009/07/16/how-to-put-ipod-touch-iphone-into -dfu-mode/

My phone was displaying Recovery Mode and I was stuck in a Recovery Mode loop. Using these instructions I put it into DFU Mode, directly from Recovery Mode (while connected to

my PC). As I did this, my computer installed a driver for my iPhone and said it was "Ready to Use" in a Windows pane. I then tried the "Restore iPhone" button in iTunes again

and after it worked! It downloaded the update and restored the phone to factory settings. I had backed up my phone last night (I backup my data locally on my PC) so I got all of my data back.

Follow the instructions on that site and you're golden. It took me a couple tries to get the timing of the holding of the buttons.

Jul 23, 2014 6:29 AM in response to James Mauro

HOLY SMOKES...THIS WORKED!!!!!! 😮

OH MY WOW!!! FINALLY!!!! After 2 weeks, trying everything under the sun, even standing on my head, while holding down every button on my phone, plugging into my computer, connecting to iTunes, iCloud, iDontknowwhatelse, & 5 calls to Apple Support, THIS WORKED!!! I want to plaster this all over the internet! 😁

THANK YOU JAMES MAURO!!!

Hard reset, DFU, recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.