Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to have separate HHD space and logins

Hello, I'm Scott. I work in a small recording studio out here in Gardena, CA. I'm using a MAC PRO Model ID: MacPro1,1. Originally the MP came with 500GB HDD, but now it's extremely low on memory. So I added a Seagate 2TB HHD and that is where I am left stuck. I need to create 3 additional logins for the different engineers and I need Pro Tools to be available to them, but I do want them to have access to each other recording sessions. I am working with OSX 10.6.8 Snow leopard. Should my new HDD become the boot drive or should I leave everything on my 500GB that's where all my plug-ins are and original OSX. Please advise.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 10:14 PM

3 replies

Apr 15, 2014 8:10 PM in response to skullznhalo

Mac OS X is inherently a Multi-User system. Just create new logins, and only the private files of each User are added for that User. The System, Library, and Applications are used in common, and work for whatever User is logged in at the moment. They are not replicated -- some would say they are shared.

Many Computer owners find their Macs can speed up by changing that organization a little. Create a new System on a fast drive or an SSD, and move the Users home folders to a big drive:

User Tip: Creating a lean, fast Boot Drive

Apr 16, 2014 7:14 AM in response to skullznhalo

The idea behind best use and configuration on your 1,1 (like mine) is to not use one drive for everything, I'd choose a smaller faster 250GB / $149 SSD for system, and anotehr drive for media and data folders, and you could even have users have their accounts on even a 3rd drive.

SSDs cannot be booted from PCIe SSD controllers in a 1,1 but great place for fast scratch and graphic libraries.

Along with 4 x SATA drive bays you also have two more SATA ports ("ODD") on the logicboard, that can be used to boot from or create an array or anything else. Can run a pass thru cable external or two drives in lower optical drive bay.

But you don't want system and users and files on a single drive.

How to have separate HHD space and logins

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.