Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Long distance control using ARD

Okay so i just downloaded ARD to control a computer in San Diego. I am in Tucson. is there any way that i can even control that computer in san diego? its not working so far.

Posted on Apr 14, 2014 9:57 PM

3 replies

Apr 15, 2014 1:16 AM in response to patrick.mcclanhaan

You can't expect it work by simply downloading ARD and launching it.

For ARD to work successfully you need to:

Enable Remote Management on the computer in San Diego

Know the (ideally fixed) external IP address of the San Diego location

Know the (ideally fixed) internal IP address of the computer in San Diego

Open ports 3283 and 5900 in the firewall at the San Diego location

Forward traffic for those ports to the internal IP address of the computer in San Diego

Other things you should consider:

WoL won't necessarily work over the internet

Security is an obvious concern so 'strong' passwords are advisable. Better still use VPN

LOM is not a feature built into any Apple hardware apart from the discontinued XServe

Dynamically assigned external IP addresses are liable to change

If you don't know what an external IP address is it's the one given to you by your ISP

If you don't know what an internal IP address is it's the one given to you by your router/firewall

To find out what your external IP address is launch a browser and type in myipaddress.com in the URL field. To find out what your internal IP address consult the Network Preferences Pane.

The specifics on how to configure routers/firewalls for port forwarding vary from device to device so consult the manual that came with that device.

Finally it's possible some or all of the above may be beyond your control and/or skills? If that's so you may have to consider using something else such as Lognein or TeamViewer.

Apr 10, 2015 4:05 AM in response to patrick.mcclanhaan

I just downloaded ARD to control a computer in San Diego. I am in Tucson. is there any way that i can even control that computer in san diego?

Be careful with ARD. Its got an 8 character password limitation, which makes it a very risky service. You should *not* expose it directly to the internet. Its probably OK if you only access it from your internal LAN.

I don't have an answer for you, but I stumbled upon your question while searching for the same. I hope to get an answer on the Apple Stack Exchange at "Setup MacBook to accept ARD traffic over SSH?", http://apple.stackexchange.com/q/180340.

Apr 22, 2015 11:06 AM in response to patrick.mcclanhaan

Patrick.Mcclanhaan:

What OSX versions are you using on each computer?

What version of ARD clients are on each computer?

ARD client 3.8 works well for screen sharing (Messages) and computer control between two OSX Yosemite computers but not between Mavericks OSX.

For non-Yosemite OSX computers, a downgrade to ARD client 3.7 is in order presently.

Long distance control using ARD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.