Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone shows a message notification, but there are no unopened messages. How do you clear the notification off the icon.

I accidentally deleted a message string from someone, now the phone shows an unopened message. When you open the message app, there are no unopened message showing, but yet, the app icon still shows the unopened message.

HELP!

Jeff

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 4:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 10, 2017 8:18 AM

I was able to solve it by opening the Messages app so my texts were listed out, then hit "Edit" in the upper left-hand corner, and then selecting the option "read all", which is listed on the lower left-hand corner of the screen. I noticed that one of my messages came up as unread and I opened that message and then closed it, and then exited the Messages app and returned to the phone home screen and the notification for my Messages app was no longer there. Success!

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 10, 2017 8:18 AM in response to Moi 2

I was able to solve it by opening the Messages app so my texts were listed out, then hit "Edit" in the upper left-hand corner, and then selecting the option "read all", which is listed on the lower left-hand corner of the screen. I noticed that one of my messages came up as unread and I opened that message and then closed it, and then exited the Messages app and returned to the phone home screen and the notification for my Messages app was no longer there. Success!

May 27, 2017 2:34 PM in response to JeffLM

I had this happen twice. Found out how to fix it. Go to Settings>General>Reset>Reset network settings. It goes back to factory setting. After that, several new voicemail messages (dated days ago) popped up all at once. I opened them and the red badge went away. Apparently there was some WiFi blockage such that incoming voicemail could not get on the phone. Last time it was after I was using an Overseas Access from AT&T, and when I came home, apparently the phone was still stuck in the overseas mode, and the voicemails were waiting out in cyberspace.

Jul 18, 2017 5:58 AM in response to mw512

Hi

I have the message notification showing "1" on my home screen. I went into it hit edit and read all as you said, but the badge app icon is still red and showing "1". Any other ideas that anyone has to get rid of this??? Obviously all my messages have been read anyway. I did delete a few messages that I hadn't read as I knew what they contained. Please help. I'm using an iPhone 6s and iOS 10.3.2.

Thx Kirst xXx 😇⭐

Jan 18, 2018 11:19 AM in response to JeffLM

I have this problem too. It is caused when you delete a group message (may also happen with one on one message, but I haven't seen that yet) and then someone "likes" or reacts to something on that message string. If someone posts something new to that message string, the deleted message string reappears in your messages app and you can click on it and the notification will go away (so no problem in that case); but if someone only "likes" or reacts to something on the deleted message string then you will get a notification but the deleted message does not reappear in your messages app and you can't get rid of the notification icon. In some earlier iOS versions it used to be that if someone "likes" or reacts to something on the deleted message string it would reappear in your messages app, but that feature was removed for some reason a couple of iOS updates ago.

Jan 24, 2018 3:26 PM in response to jmlevy52

jmlevy52...I think it could be a bug in the latest update (but that's just my guess). It never happened to my iPad or my grandsons iPad mini before the update. I found the fix by accident just by trying different things, I didn't what to go through the headache of restoring it and starting over from scratch. The one thing I may have failed to mention was I deleted all of my messages then... sent myself a message, leaving the app open then a forced restart ..good luck

Apr 15, 2014 7:56 AM in response to Axeman1020

Yeah, I tried every thing imaginable to get this to clear, other than default the phone...

It just will not go away.

I cant believe that there is not a way to get rid of this without losing settings, some one already reset the network setting and lost all of my saved network passwords...

Thanks for answering, but that was the first thing I tried, this is something very strange...

Jeff

My iPhone shows a message notification, but there are no unopened messages. How do you clear the notification off the icon.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.