Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple usb superdrive is not supported on this mac

I have an iMac using 10.9.2 and my cd drive is not working so I bought an external usb cd drive. When I connect to my computer I get "The Apple USB SuperDrive is not supported on this Mac".

How do I get it to be accepted?

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 4:28 AM

21 replies

Jan 2, 2017 12:47 AM in response to TRS65

I tried everything suggested by posters below - and from Luz's guide to no avail....

I then found this gem from this page

IT WORKED! (Please note - I used the sudo nvram boot-args="-v mbasd=1"

as I had already used the original sudo command suggested and it did not work, but I figured I might have already had "boot-args" set as the poster below advises.

Use the Apple external SuperDrive on (almost) any Mac
Authored by: elvey on Aug 11, '14 10:34:45AM

Thanks, alexburke.

sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"
was great advice - EXCEPT it would have wiped out my previous setting. First, I ran
nvram boot-args
, which showed that I already had boot-args set to
-v
on this MacBook Pro. So, knowing that, I instead ran
sudo nvram boot-args="-v mbasd=1"
which worked like a charm. I rebooted , and the DVD drive was recognized and I was able to burn (an ubuntu DVD-RW) with it.

from there I kept the terminal window open - the drive plugged in - and just restarted. A black screen with code (sorry, I am not a tech head so I don't really know what it all actually means lol) comes up before seeing the apple on restart - and then just restarts as normal. I put in a dvd and it read it perfectly.

Jan 28, 2017 7:30 PM in response to TRS65

I type in everything I need to, enter my password correct, but then always get this:

nvram: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error

After rebooting nothing happens. Guess I'll have to take it back to the store. Any other options for my Macbook that would be compatible? Tried an LG already but it only recognized the disk (better than Apple's), but wouldn't play as dvd. So disappointing.

So much for Apple "just working."

Dec 19, 2015 12:37 PM in response to AJL.

I'm still using Yosemite and this worked great for me! Thank you. I have read elsewhere that people have had trouble with El Captain

"Open a terminal window and type the following command:

sudo nvram boot-args="mbasd=1"

Enter your password and then reboot - the drive should work.

Note: you need to be a computer administrator and you need a password for this to work."

Nov 18, 2016 1:33 AM in response to macguyincali

I am having the same problem as the original poster, superdrive is not supported. I have a MacBook pro 17" connected to a thunderbolt display. I have all the latest software and updates.

I don't use my superdrive very often, but just got a great new CD I want to import.

I tried the terminal window sudo nvram boot as listed above, it is returning the following error:

nvram: Error setting variable - 'boot-args': (iokit/common) general error

I've tried restarting my computer, using USB ports on the display and the laptop. Same results. I now have a nice superdrive I can't seem to get to work.

Help is super appreciated!

Apple usb superdrive is not supported on this mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.