Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Converting iMovies for TV

I'm preparing about 20-30 movies (and later on maybe even more) in order to show them on a TV-set. I'd like to avoid burning each and everyone on DVD, I'd rather like to make them playable from a Harddisk which is connected to a TV set - therefore I have some questions and it would be great If help was available:

1. There are numerous formats for exporting iMovies: Which one provides best qualitiy in Video (sound is less important) on modern TV-Sets. As far as I've tried out, only .MOV seems to work, but is of poor quality esp. on a bigger screen. Are there other formats a TV would accept?

2. If TV does not accent higher quality movies one could use the TV-Screen as a second monitor of another computer to which the HD will be connected (probably not a Mac). Which format would do in an acceptable quality?

3. As an alternative: when I burn a DVD from an iMovie project - can I copy that project to a HD and will it be playable as if it was on DVD…?

Quite a few different tasks, but would be great if one or another questions could be answered.

Thanks in advance

Donalfredo

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 5:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 6:15 AM

Share the iMovie project to iTunes and get a $99 Apple TV device for playback on any TV.

These files can be in high defintition video formats as opposed to standard defintion like a DVD.

If you're running short on hard drive storage you can put the iTunes Library on an external drive and it can still be found by the Apple TV.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2014 6:15 AM in response to Donalfredo

Share the iMovie project to iTunes and get a $99 Apple TV device for playback on any TV.

These files can be in high defintition video formats as opposed to standard defintion like a DVD.

If you're running short on hard drive storage you can put the iTunes Library on an external drive and it can still be found by the Apple TV.

Apr 15, 2014 6:42 AM in response to Donalfredo

From iTunes file menu you can export your library. Once exported to an external drive it can be deleted from your startup internal drive freeing up a lot of space.

iTunes and the Apple TV can "share" a user's library over the same Wi-Fi network. All of your purchased iTunes content can be played back on your TV. All of your music files can play through the better sound system found on your TV setup. Even iPhoto can share your photos and slideshows to your Apple TV.

Converting iMovies for TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.