Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I extend the Wi-Fi range with a Time Capsule??

Just bought an AirPort Time Capsule 3TB and installed it. I also have my previous Time capsule and would like to use it to extend the Wi-Fi range. Is it possible?? If so, how do I do it?? Thanks

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 5:35 AM

11 replies

Apr 15, 2014 5:58 AM in response to mrraf

Unfortunately, your post did not include enough information for us to be able to answer your question.

Will you be using a Mac, PC, or an iOS device like an iPhone or iPad to set up the older Time Capsule to "extend" the network?

If you will be using a Mac....what operating system is it using?

Do you plan to "extend" by having the older Time Capsule connect to the new Time Capsule using a wired Ethenret connection?

or

Do you plan to "extend" by having the older Time Capusle connect wirelessly to the new Time Capsule?

Apr 15, 2014 6:17 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hi Bob! Thanks for the quick response !!! I use a Mac Book Pro Retina with Mavericks. I have no plans!! Could do it either with Ethernet...but would have to be close to the AirPort TC , and I don't know if this would extend the range; or Wi-Fi somewhere at the edge of coverage. I have been reading posts and Apple support. It seems that the Ethernet connection would be best , but then : Do I extend the range?? Also they mention I should do it in ''roaming'' and I don't know what it means!

I tried yesterday to do it with ethernet connected to the new APTC...but then I could not get Internet ..So i was, obviously doing something wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Apr 15, 2014 6:49 AM in response to mrraf

When you connect devices using Ethernet, you have the luxury of being able to locate the extending Time Capsule right in the middle of the remote area that needs more wireless signal coverage.......assuming.....that the Ethernet cable is long enough to do the job.

If you connect using Ethernet, will the extending Time Capsuule be located at least half way between the main Time Capsule and the remote area that needs more wireless coverage?

Apr 15, 2014 7:00 AM in response to mrraf

Hi Bob! Just received the mail with a post. Sorry but not sure what you mean. At the moment I'm trying to set it up with the TC next to the new APTC. What should the various set up screens say on the Utility for the TM to create the roaming??

It has raised another question! I have the house wired for data. The switch starts with the router, then it goes to every room in the house. Does the APTC have to be next to the router or can I plug it in anywhere I like ?? If so, could I also plug in the old TC into another Ethernet outlet?? Thanks

Apr 15, 2014 7:38 AM in response to mrraf

At the moment I'm trying to set it up with the TC next to the new APTC

Sorry, but that would not be correct....unless....you plan to leave the TC next to the new APTC. In other words, you set up the old TC at the location where it will be permanently installed.

What should the various set up screens say on the Utility for the TM to create the roaming??

You do not have to worry about this, since the setup utility will automatically configure the old TC for you.

It has raised another question! I have the house wired for data. The switch starts with the router, then it goes to every room in the house. Does the APTC have to be next to the router or can I plug it in anywhere I like ??

The APTC can be installed anywhere that you like, assuming the Ethernet cabling is working correctly.

If so, could I also plug in the old TC into another Ethernet outlet??

Yes, ssuming that the Ethernet cabling is working correctly.

Suggest that you first get the new APTC set up where you want it to be located, then post back when you have tested to make sure that it is working correctly.

At that point, we will install the old TC.

Apr 15, 2014 9:30 AM in response to mrraf

OK, thanks for the update.

First, we need to check the Ethernet port at the location where you want to install the older extending TC. Temporarily, move your laptop to that location and connect an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet wall jack to your laptop.

Turn off the wireless on the laptop temporarily, then check to make sure that you can get a good Internet connection that way. If you can, then you are ready to install the old TC. If you cannot get a good connection on the laptop when you perform this test, then you will need to get the connection working before you can install the TC.

Turn the wirelss back on at the laptop once you have completed the test.

Move the old TC to the location where you want to install it and power it up for a few minutes. Then, hold in the reset button on the back of the TC for 10 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the TC to restart to a slow, blinking amber light.

This action will only reset the network settings on the old TC....it will not affect any of the stored data that you have on the TC.

Connect the Ethernet cable from the wall port to the WAN "O" port on the old TC.

On your Mac....

Open Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Other WiFi Devices tab

Click on Time Capsule

The utility will take a minute to analyze the connection, then announce that the old TC will be configured to extend the new TC network.

Enter a device name that you want to use for the old TC.....you can use the same device name that you used previously if you wish.....and click Next

Now notice that the utility will indicate that the old TC is being set up to extend the new TC network using Ethernet.

When you see the message about Setup Complete, click Done.

That's it. Now your Mac will automatically connect to the TC with the best wireless signal as you move it from one area to another.

Apr 15, 2014 11:12 AM in response to mrraf

Unfortunately, the Guest Network will not work for your TCs since you have a modem/router "upstream" on the network.

You must have a simple modem....not a modem/router or gateway device....in order for the Guest Network feature to work correctly.

Then, you must set up the Guest Network on the "main" TC. Once that is done, you can "extend" the Guest Nework to the other TC

How do I extend the Wi-Fi range with a Time Capsule??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.