Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music sub-folder instead of iTunes Media folder?

A significant number of my songs went missing from my Library, the dreaded !. Many of these "lost songs" were found in a Music sub-folder, nested inside the iTunes Media folder. i.e. Volume>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Music.

Confused, I moved them from this Music sub-folder up to the iTunes Media folder, assuming the app would put them back in the Library after Consolidating. It didn't.

Next, I tested dragging an album folder from the iTunes Media folder directly into the iTunes Library side panel. Voilà! The album was once again playable.

However, this album now resides in a new Volume>Music>iTunes>iTunes Media>Music sub-folder, not in the iTunes Media Folder. Both "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and "Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" were and are checked in Preferences.

My questions: How can I get iTunes to store these albums in iTunes Media instead of the Music sub-folder? As I said, Consolidate files did not correct this. Also, if I drag them out of the Music sub-folder, into the iTunes Media folder, will I screw up again?

Thanks

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iTunes 10

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 7:32 AM

6 replies

Apr 15, 2014 8:49 AM in response to staigl

staigl wrote:

Or am I looking at the preferred hierarchy incorrectly?

Yes.

Music should end up in the iTunes Media folder, not in this Music sub-folder, right?

No.

Is there some reason you think music should not go into a Music subfolder?

/iTunes/iTunes media/ should have subfolders of;

• Audiobooks
  • Automatically add to iTunes
  • Mobile Applications
  • Movies
  • Music
  • Podcasts
  • TV Shows

and maybe a few others.

Oct 9, 2015 3:13 PM in response to Chris CA

My problem is that it is **iTunes** that has moved 98% of my artist folders from my Music folder inside my iTunes Media folder FROM the Music folder to the iTunes Media folder.

So now the vast majority of my artists are at the same level as the TV Shows, Movies, Applications, etc. folders.

I did have an issue with my external media drive and I renamed the iTunes folder to iTunes Media to prevent the stupid mistake I made from happening again [don't ask...] and when I told iTunes in the Preference pane to use this new folder name for my iTunes content, it rebuilt the Library as it should and then moved most of the artist folders OUT of the Music folder. I watched it as it was happening.

Even before the folder name change, new music was also put in the same place, outside of the Music folder.

Any idea why this is happening? All my Preferences are to keep all content organized and what not. And, it's only the artist folders. TV shows are still safely tucked away in their correct folder, even when I add new files.

And, the music still plays just fine so the Library path to the media file is fine. It even self corrects when I move all the artist folders into the Music folder. I had everything in there, then changed the main folder name and that's when iTunes moved everything back out.

I was not amused as many of the remaining folders are for the artists that are also outside the Music folder, which is also rather odd, so I have to move many individual album folders or even song files to get everything where it should be.

Any thoughts on how to keep this from happening, or to even get iTunes to put all these folders back where they belong would be most appreciated.

Music sub-folder instead of iTunes Media folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.