Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

KVM troubles w/ powerpc & mini

I am trying to use an iogear KVM switch so that my powerpc g5 (os x 10.4.11) and my Mini (Mavericks) can share one Dell monitor. My trouble is when I switch from the tower to the mini the monitor enters sleep mode and I have to reboot the mini. I have told the mini to never enter sleep mode, but this doesn't seem to help. What am I missing?

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 6:43 AM

4 replies

Apr 15, 2014 7:13 AM in response to legg007

Since you say you've set your mini to never sleep, my first suspicion is that the mini isn't sleeping, it is locked up. If I am right the question is does the computer crash when you switch from the tower to the mini or has it crashed long before. Have you checked the console log for any hints about crashes? Have you tried connecting the KV&M directly to the mini for a long period of time to see if it functions, sleeps and wakes as normal?

I had a KVM that crashed my PC pretty consistantly years ago. I eventually switch to a different KVM and never saw the problem again.

Apr 15, 2014 7:40 AM in response to legg007

legg007 wrote:

The trouble only occurs the first time I switch from the PowerPC to the Mini.

As in the first time of the day and it functions okay the rest of the day? If you believe it is sleeping and not waking you could try installing Caffeine on the mini. It is a program that keeps the computer awake 24/7 no matter what.

KVM troubles w/ powerpc & mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.