Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Everytime i star my iMac it opens like it was a long time a go.

I have a iMac 21, my mac just got stuck wile working and i've needed to restart on the power button. After that, it just did not start againg, got stuck at the grey screen. So i reboot and open disk utility to reinstall mac osx, as it says in every help i found over the internet. After that my mac got back, but thats when the problem realy started. Everytime i start or restart my mac it opens exactily as when it got stuck before the reintallig. Safari opens with the pages i left on, my mail in the same mail i was reading, everything. I've already reinstaled once more the osx but it didnt work. I've also restore safari, deleted every history and cache, but nothing seems to fix it. And now i realized that if i just use cmd + Q and then open safari again it comes back to those old pages, even without turning the mac off an on. I'm a designer so i've been using illustrator a lot and the same happens with it.

I've tryed searching everywhere for an answere similar to my problem but i didnt find anything. Not even a clue.

Can anyone help me?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 7:29 AM

3 replies

Apr 15, 2014 8:07 AM in response to Gotenpro

The new OS keeps track of your application settings and reopens everything the way you left it. If you wish to remove that behavior, first save your work, and close your documents. Then quit out of your applications. Then when you relaunch them they will open up clean.

If you choose resart, then a dialog will come up asking yout if you want to "Reopen windows when logging back in," which saves the state of your Mac before your restart. Uncheck that if you wish your Mac to restart cleanly.

I've found this feature to be very handy. However, it does take a while for your system to come back up at first. After that, it is very responsive, as everything is kept in cache as much as possible for future use.

Take care,

Apr 15, 2014 11:59 AM in response to Timothy Fink

I think i did not made myself clear, sorry but english is not my 1st language.

But the issue is that it reopens everything from a month a go.

i know about that feature and i love it. But since the crash it only stores from a month a go to before.

Just a example.

Turn on the iMac today. Opens identical like the day of the crash, every stuff that was on. Than i star using Safari lets say, go to facebook, and one link and another. After that i hit cmd + q and close Safari, leaving that stuff open. In normal os x when i reopen if saved will open where i was the last time. But in my case, it opens like it was a month a go, the same saved pages. And more. Everything i since the day of the crash just vanish after i close safari.

Safari its an example, illustrator does that to, and even system preferences does that.

Hope i got everything more clear now!

And thanks for the fast response dude!

Apr 15, 2014 2:14 PM in response to Gotenpro

Back up all data.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership and access-control lists to the default. If you've set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Triple-click anywhere in the following line on this page to select it:

{ sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR..; sudo chown -R $UID:staff ~ $_; sudo chmod -R u+rwX ~ $_; chmod -R -N ~ $_; } 2>&-

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

You'll be prompted for your login password. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take a few minutes to run, or perhaps longer if you have literally millions of files in your home folder. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if it frightens you, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open.

In the Terminal window, type this:

res

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password dialog will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

In the dialog, select the startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if it's not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if it's not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Everytime i star my iMac it opens like it was a long time a go.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.