Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote 6.2 - video playback problem in self-playing mode.

Keynote 6.2 will not play a video (set up for full screen playback) within a slide for more than a few seconds, before it jumps to the next slide, when the presentation is set to Self-Playing mode.

I’ve done a work around that is: setting a delay in the build out pane - but it only allows 99 seconds. And I often need to show a 4-10 minutte video.

Question:

• Is it a bug in the software?
  • Why the counter intuitive need for a workaround?
  • Why doesn’t it just play the video from the startpoint to the end point, I’ve set in the Format pain anyway, and just do what i’ve set it up to do: To start the video in the build in pane and told it to stop when it is done, in the build out pane?

Quirks:

If I set the video NOT to stop in the build out pane, the video never plays, it just goes straight on to the next slide.

What i dont understand

• The way to try to cheat Keynote to playback a video seems very counter intuitive and very little Apple like.
  • Wouldn't it be easier just to recognize the lenght of the video and play it from trim in points to trim out points, like it does in "Normal" mode?
  • Is there a focus on this issue, is it considered a problem and will it be dealt with?

Suggestion

You could have a checkbox that said: “Allow videoplayback in self playing mode” or something similar. Or just let the videos play.

Work Around

What I’ve done for now, is duplicating one movie, and set the in and out points and let all three of them play for 99 seconds. with a short pause, when they overlap…… That is very tricky business...

OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 7:38 AM

3 replies

May 20, 2016 10:52 AM in response to Gary Scotland

I've been having video playback issues as well. I can drag and drop the video clip in (~40 sec -1:15). However on playback, all I get is the first few seconds. My format is not an issue. I have tried click to play and automatic play options with the video. Set slide transition to on click so it would not go automatically. Still have playback issues with it only playing first few seconds. Do you have any insight as to why I can't get video playback to play full video? Appreciate any help.

May 21, 2016 4:04 AM in response to ecatt

Does the video file play correctly in Quicktime Player?

What file type and CODEC is the file? (play in QT then command I for the inspector, CODEC is listed next to format)

Test the workflow for playing a video file

• open a new presentation in Keynote
  • drag and drop the video on to the slide
  • click on the video to select, Inspector > Format > Movie > deselect the option to start movie on click
  • play the presentation

Keynote 6.2 - video playback problem in self-playing mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.