Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost all photos from iPhoto

A month ago while I was on spring break, my friend locked my phone permanently so I ended up having to restore it and as a result lost all my pictures, but I wasn't too worried because I had backed them all up to iphoto before the trip. Yesterday, I decided I would back up the few NEW hundred pictures since that incident, I plugged my phone in and iphoto popped up and had zero photos and asked me if i wanted to create a new library. Now I don't have any of the thousands of pictures I had before I had to wipe my phone. Is this connected?

So then I tried upgrading my computer and upgrading iphoto, now it's saying "the iphoto libaray needs to be upgraded to work with this software" but I'm scared to hit anything for fear that it'll erase the pictures from my phone and computer.

I don't understand how I can't trust my computer to not lose my pictures, this is ridiculous. Please tell me there's some way to get back all of those pictures!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 8:49 AM

5 replies

Apr 15, 2014 10:15 AM in response to beccabarn

So then I tried upgrading my computer and upgrading iphoto, now it's saying "the iphoto libaray needs to be upgraded to work with this software" but I'm scared to hit anything for fear that it'll erase the pictures from my phone and computer.

That is normal - when you upgrade iPhtoo it usually has to upgrade the library the new version - and since you must always have a good backup and certainly never pdate or upgrade software withot one you are proected against the rare problem because you have a backup

Backup your iPhoto library and upgrade your library

LN

Apr 15, 2014 11:21 AM in response to beccabarn

Most Simple Back Up:

Drag the iPhoto Library from your Pictures Folder to another Disk. This will make a copy on that disk.

Slightly more complex: Use an app that will do incremental back ups. This is a very good way to work. The first time you run the back up the app will make a complete copy of the Library. Thereafter it will update the back up with the changes you have made. That makes subsequent back ups much faster. Many of these apps also have scheduling capabilities: So set it up and it will do the back up automatically.

Example of such apps: Chronosync- but there are many others. Search on MacUpdateor the App Store

Lost all photos from iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.