Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wired keyboard function keys don't work after restart

I bought new wired keyboard – MB110LB/B, everything is fine, but after restart function keys (brightness, volume, audio controls etc) stops working, instead of volume controls now shows dashboard and desktop etc. Even if i try to change shortucts via keyboard option – nothing changes. I found out that if i plug out and plug in keyboard – everything works fine till next restart. I don't turn off my iMac and don't do restarts 100 times per day, but it kinda annoying. Maybe someone have some ideas regarding this problem?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 9:35 AM

3 replies

Apr 15, 2014 10:53 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I don't think that keyboard is damaged because i've seen that i'm not the only one with same problem, even with same volume keys problem. But it can be factory bug in keyboard or OSX. SMC resets didn't helped me, i did 3. However the strange thing is that when my iMac is not fully loaded after restart everything works perfect, but when everything loads up 100%, then function keys stops working and starts working again after unplugging the keyboard. I forgot to mention, that i did reinstall of OSX (not clean).

Thanks.

Apr 17, 2015 2:31 PM in response to Community User

Solved this problem by adding keyboard extension cable. I don't have a clue why it fixes the problem, but i saw this fix somewhere else and decided to share.

Wired keyboard function keys don't work after restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.