Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Already installed apps re-install themselves spontaneously!

Yesterday, I installed iPhoto and iMovie. I didn’t use them in editing photos or videos but I opened them after installation to make sure that they were downloaded correctly and completely.

Today, I installed iBooks then opened it after completion of downloading and everything was alright. When I went back to my home screen I found that both icons of iPhoto and iMovie are dark with a download meter on them and the word “loading” below (as if I was downloading them for the first time!). I went to my settings and found both apps already there but when I went to “apps made by Apple” in the AppStore I found them started installation. I waited till completion of this second installation for both apps and when I launched them they didn’t show the welcome screen that appears after fresh installation or new update, i.e. they opened directly to their home screen.

Could anyone explain this to me?

BTW: the device is a brand new iPad running iOS 7.0.4 and I have only installed iWork apps + iPhoto + iMovie + iBooks.

iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 11:10 AM

They were most likely updating.

Do you have automatic updates on?

You can turn it off here if you want to update manually:
Settings > iTunes & App Store > Updates - off

4 replies

Apr 16, 2014 1:34 PM in response to PixlePaintbrush

Why uninstall then reinstall? and to fix what?

Both apps launched normally after installation for the first time, and in the next day I installed iBooks which also launched normally but when I went out of it I saw iPhoto & iMovie started redownloading themselves spontaneously.

I found that the icons were automatically rearranged alphabetically, so I thought that the apps were just refreshing their icons or something like that, but the installation process proceeded and I waited till its completion, then I opened both apps and everything was fine.

My question here is what caused this weird behavior?

Is it a bug in iOS 7.0.4?

Is it something related to iBooks?

Did the reinstallation process replaced the existing files without consuming my storage memory?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.