Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Overriding files on DVD-RW using Apple Superdrive Disc Burner

I'd like to use a DVD+RW disk to back up a set of files that I update

continuously, and burn the same disk repeatedly and override files

that have been updated.

I was able to burn the first set of files to the DVD+RW disk

successfully with the Superdrive. Then I updated those files and went

to record over them on the same DVD+RW, but when I plugged in the

superdrive, highlighted the file, and chose "Burn to disk," it keeps

asking for an empty disk--I can't seem to do anything with the DVD+RW

disk with the old files that is in the drive.

I though you could record over files on DVD+RW disks.

What am I doing wrong? Please help.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 10:34 PM

Use the Disk Utility in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder to erase the DVD+RW.

(104911)

3 replies

Apr 16, 2014 6:38 AM in response to TigerBrains

There are lots of good reasons not to use DVD media for backup purposes except archival quality DVD media (which is expensive and write once, not rewriteable).

1. DVD media doesn't last long - as little as 3 years and that isn't necessarily 3 years of use. The clock starts ticking as soon as the disk is manufactured because the technology uses organic dyes. They break down over time. I've seen DVDs become unreadable in as little as 18 months. (And admittedly I have some media that is still readable after 5 years but with backups I focus on the deaths.)
  2. DVDs are slow to write to and the key to successful backups is making it painless for the user. The more the user has to interact with the process the less likely it will get done.

My choice for backups is a reliable external hard drive - actually, several reliable hard drives. I make more than one backup. Having said that, I also back up my digital photos to archival quality DVD media twice a year.

Overriding files on DVD-RW using Apple Superdrive Disc Burner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.