Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PowerMac without any OS - ideas needed !

Processor speed:

- 2 x 1.8 GHz

Processor Type:

- PPC, G5

Bus Speed:

- 900 MHz

Cache:

- 512K per processor

64-bit Support:

- No

Installed RAM:

- 512 MB

Max. Amount:

- 4.0 GB

Amount of Slots:

RAM Speed:

- 400 MHz

RAM Type:

- PC-3200, DDR, SDRAM

Hard Drive:

- 160 GB, 7200rpm.

Drive Bus:

- Serial-ATA

Optical Drive:

- This unit has a 4x SuperDrive built in.

Optical Bus:

- Ultra-ATA/100

Graphics Card:

- NVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra.

Card Memory:

- 64 MB

AirPort:

- Optional Airport Extreme (802.11 a/b/g).

Ethernet:

- 10/100/1000BASE-T (RJ-45).

Bluetooth:

- Optional Bluetooth 1.1

USB:

- 3 ports (USB 2.0 / 480 Mbps)

FireWire:

- 1 port (FW800) and 2 ports (FW400)

Original OS:

- 10.2.7 Jaguar or 10.3 Panther.

Maximum OS:

- Mac OS 10.5.8

Recommended OS:

- Mac OS 10.5.8 Leopard

I have this G5 and want to give it away to a local charity... its easily perfect for them... I just need to get a system onto it... and do you think I can ?!?

My MacBookPro has the latest Mavericks... so can't run the OS installer I have - 10.5.8 DMG I downloaded from Apple... and I have a ML and Lion installer apps but no way to get them onto the G5 that will boot. I have 2 x Ext USB drives but one has Mavericks as an installed OS on it [won't boot the G5] the other is clean so I can put anything on it... but CAN'T run System installers as Mountain Lion and Lion OS Intallers will not run on Mavericks allowing me to install them onto the USB Drive.

The G5 has both 400 & 800 Firewire... as does my MacBookPro... so I can Target boot the G5 from my MacBookPro... BUT... can't install a boot volume on it as those installers won't run on the Mavericks on my MBP. Arrrrrrgh.

I do not have a bootable G5 DVD with a system on it - if I did this wouldn't be a problem.

So... problem solving is needed... any lateral thinking is WELCOME.

Cheers

Guy

Other OS

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 12:48 AM

6 replies

Apr 21, 2014 6:42 AM in response to Guy Hollister

Hey, just a suggestion, take it or leave it, you did say "lateral" thinking. 10.5 won't be getting any future secutrity updates while linux remains under continuous development and evolution, so you decide which is more "mature" and what will be of most use to the charity of your choice.

Or maybe by lateral thinking you are referring to how can you more easily pirate a copy of Mac OS X and install it illegally? You should clarify that for the contributors and moderators.

Apr 28, 2014 2:56 PM in response to Guy Hollister

I got a copy of Leopard from eBay for £25. There's no security updates for it anymore but I have it on a secured home network and don't allow it internet access. It would be fine for the charity if they didn't want internet on it, otherwise there is a risk that it could be hacked from outside, but it's a risk and how many people can say that they know they've ever been hacked.

PowerMac without any OS - ideas needed !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.