Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not enough free disk space, even though there is!

I have the late 2013 Macbook Pro, 15in high end model.

I have an application refusing to update as it is not seeing enough free disk space on the HD. The is currently 160GB used and 340GB free space.

I have disabled Time Machine local snapshots via Terminal to clear the 'fake' free space. I have also repaired disk permissons.

Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Let me just be clear that this is on a recently re-installed OS which was restored from a backup. There is definitely ONLY 160GB being used. Ihave also run the system through Omnidisk to be sure.

I am still having issues getting this particular application to update as it refuses to see that there is plenty of space on the HD. I am not having this issue with any other program.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 11:33 PM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2014 10:51 PM in response to Melophage

Published in February 2014.

I managed to resolve the issue. The application was definitely not recognising space correctly. It uses a java-based launcher. Rather than redownloading the whole 28GB I was able to re-install the launcher and abort the complete download then reinsert the content files.

Then let it patch the rest (5GB).

Just an extremely poorly put together launcher package.

Although I have no way of knowing whether turning off local backups assisted this.

Thanks for your response.

Not enough free disk space, even though there is!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.