Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Messages app shows 2 new messages but there are none

So earlier today I decided to do a messages dump to clear up some space from cached pictures in my sms app. Ever since, my phone has been telling me I have two new messages from my wife. They don't even show up in the messages app anymore, as I deleted the conversation again to try and reset it. However, even after power cycling it and turning it off and on, it still persists. The reason I know its two messages from my wife, is that when I ask siri to read my new messages to me, she will continue to read said messages to me everytime as if they are still new, then read me my actual new messages. I have had to hear these same two messages from siri for the last 4 hours. Reseting SMS notifications doesn't do it either. Short of a factory reset, what are my options here?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1

Posted on Apr 15, 2014 11:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 12:56 AM

Okay... Well I think I solved my own issue. There are two ways to delete messages in the messages app. You can swipe to the left, or you can click edit and delete it that way. The latter of which i didn't try as I thought they were synonymous. Turns out that it actually reset the new messages counter, and it now shows as no unread messages. Anyone having similar issues in the future be sure and delete messages using edit then clicking the red icon to the left of the message.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2014 12:56 AM in response to halcy0n

Okay... Well I think I solved my own issue. There are two ways to delete messages in the messages app. You can swipe to the left, or you can click edit and delete it that way. The latter of which i didn't try as I thought they were synonymous. Turns out that it actually reset the new messages counter, and it now shows as no unread messages. Anyone having similar issues in the future be sure and delete messages using edit then clicking the red icon to the left of the message.

Messages app shows 2 new messages but there are none

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.