Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have a mid 2009 Macbook pro and i have hooked my HDMI cord to my computer and my TV the picture works but i cant figure out how to get the sound to work

i have seen others mcbook pros by goin to sound prefrences and goin to the ouput sound but my tv doesnt come up!! this the hdmi cord that i own! is this the right one? please helpUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 12:57 AM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2014 2:44 AM in response to Matts2288

That era MacBook Pro doesn't send sound via HDMI so you'll need to connect audio to your TV some other way, either via an analog or digital audio cable:

These Apple computers supply multichannel audio (up to 8 channels) and video signals over Mini DisplayPort:

• MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012 and later) 1
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)1
  • Mac mini (Mid 2010 and later)1
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
  • MacBook (Mid 2010 and later)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid 2010 and later)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2010 and later)
  • iMac (Late 2009 and later)

No additional adapter is necessary if you are connecting directly to the HDMI port on these specific models.

These Apple computers supply only video signals over Mini DisplayPort:

• iMac (Early 2009) and (Mid 2009)
  • Mac Mini (Early 2009) and (Late 2009)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009)
  • MacBook (Late 2009)
  • MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008)
  • MacBook Pro (late 2008), (Mid 2009), and (Early 2009)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008) and (Mid 2009)

You can read the Apple document here.

Mar 4, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

connecting MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) to Hisense TV with audio?!?!!?

hello everyone.

if anyone is familar with successfully getting the older macbook pros that dont support audio out to stream and preform digital audio on a TV or has any helpful information that will get me familiar with trying to successfully stream audio and visual. and can PLEASE HELP ME in any way to understand what they know and teach me how to solve my problem id really appreciate it.

i want to connect my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) to my Hisense LED LCD TV, ModelNumber:40H3E and getting digital audio sound from my TV as well as video, but have no clue on how or where to even start to successfully pairing the two and getting sound.

I own a MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) this MacBook model doesnt support an HDMI port. My MacBooks model has the Mini Displayport which supports video out but does not support audio out. Can someone help me by telling me exactly which Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter with audio will support my model MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2009) and exactly what HDMI wire do i need to buy that will successfully preform digital audio and sadisfying quality visual through TV?

i have NO expierence with the proccess have NO knowledge about any of this or these Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters with audio. i have no idea what kind of adapter and HDMI cord to buy that will give me sound from my tv for my type of macbook. '

im not familar AT ALL with any of this so i hope me giving you my MacBook Pros make and model and my TV's model number will be enough information for someone to help me.

just please give me anything you can on this topic

thank you so much,

i have a mid 2009 Macbook pro and i have hooked my HDMI cord to my computer and my TV the picture works but i cant figure out how to get the sound to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.