Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Are Ethernet Ports Disabled When Extending WiFi

I have an airport extreme (latest model) and have just bought a time capsule (latest model).

My extreme works as my primary WiFi and router, however I'm a fair distance from it and only get 100 meg WiFi link at best. I had hoped to connect the new Time Capsule as a wireless extender on the other side of the room where signal strength and quality are improved, and hard wire into the unit - so my backup would be quickest and the 100 meg wifi plenty for my internet browsing.

Sadly when I setup the TC to extend the WiFi it disabled the ethernet ports - is their any reason for this? it seems completely unnecerssary from my understanding of the technology and comparable products on the market, like the netgear universal extenders which have a 4 port switch to connect to the wifi on.

Can we expect a firmware update to address this or is this just plain old arrogance at it's best?

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Apr 16, 2014 3:25 AM

2 replies

Apr 16, 2014 4:19 AM in response to Justern

This is long standing setup that when an apple router joins the wireless of another router it will turn off ethernet ports. That includes another apple router.

But this is simply a case of wrong setup for you.

Somehow you have chosen join a wireless work.. and you should have chosen extend a wireless network. In extend wireless the ethernet ports still work..

Apple have given a reason for the lack of ethernet bridge in join wireless.. but it is fairly complex.. and seems unnecessary. The Extend wireless is proprietary method and apple was able to get around whatever the issues were.

Extend wireless on the TC.. create a wireless network on the AE.. should work ok.. I do have it running fine with Gen5 AE and Gen4 TC so previous generation.

Please give screenshots from the airport utility if you cannot figure it out.

Why Are Ethernet Ports Disabled When Extending WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.